OK, upgrading to gentoo-sources 4.1.11 didn't help, so I tried these steps. More inline below. On Tuesday 27 October 2015 06:23:06 Duncan wrote: >Marc Joliet posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:23:39 +0100 as excerpted: >> Occasionally they go away by themselves, but usually I have to reboot to >> make them go away. This happens when getmail attempts to fetch mail, >> which fails due to the above error. After the reboot getmail succeeds >> again. > >Just out of curiosity, does a remount,ro, followed by a remount,rw, solve >the problem? > >The ro/rw cycle should force anything in memory to device, so if that >eliminates the problem, it could well be some sort of sync issue. If it >doesn't, then it's more likely an in-memory filesystem state issue, >that's cleared by the reboot. Didn't try this directly, but... >And if the ro/rw cycle doesn't clear the problem, what about a full >unmount/mount cycle, at least of that subvolume? ...this didn't work, after which... >If you're running multiple subvolumes with root being one of them, you >can't of course unmount the entire filesystem, but you could go down to >emergency mode (systemctl emergency), try unmounting everything but /, >mounting / ro, and then switching back to normal mode (from emergency >mode, simply exiting should return you to normal multi-user or gui >target, remounting filesystems as necessary, etc). ...I tried most of this. I unmounted everything except for /var and /, neither of which I could mount read-only. It didn't help, either. >IOW, does it take a full reboot to clear the problem, or is a simple ro/rw >mount cycle enough, or an unmount/remount? Seems that a full reboot is needed, but I would expect that it would have the same effect if I were to pivot back into the initramfs, unmount / from there, then boot back into the system. Because quite frankly, I can't think of any reason why a power cycle to the SSD should make a difference here. I vaguely remember that systemd can do that, so I'll see if I can find out how. >Finally, assuming root itself isn't btrfs, if you have btrfs configured >as a module, you could try unmounting all btrfs and then unloading the >module, then reloading and remounting. That should entirely clear all in- >memory btrfs state, so if that doesn't solve the problem, while rebooting >does, then the problem's very possibly outside of btrfs scope. Of course >if root is btrfs, you can't really check that. Nope, btrfs is built-in (though it doesn't have to be, what with me using an initramfs). Thanks -- Marc Joliet -- "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup