* [linux-lvm] Reattach cache
@ 2017-11-22  8:55 Xen
From: Xen @ 2017-11-22  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux lvm

Ehm,

When you split a cache and later reattach it, LVM ensures it is in a
consistent state right?

LVM is a bit old, I mean Ubuntu 16.04 version, so something about 133.

* Re: [linux-lvm] Reattach cache
@ 2017-11-22  9:57 ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2017-11-22  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Xen

Dne 22.11.2017 v 09:55 Xen napsal(a):
> Ehm,
>
> When you split a cache and later reattach it, LVM ensures it is in a
> consistent state right?
>
> LVM is a bit old, I mean Ubuntu 16.04 version, so something about 133.

Hi

Sorry but version 133 is really ancient - the original purpose of 'cache'
--splitcache was rather more debug oriented.

Clearing of cache-pool metadata when cache-pool is reattached to another LV
goes with version 2.02.162 - so your version is way too old...

In your case - just destroy the cache (--uncache) and do not try to reuse
cache-pool unless you really know what you are doing.

Regards

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] Reattach cache
@ 2017-11-22 10:15   ` Xen
From: Xen @ 2017-11-22 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Kabelac; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development

Zdenek Kabelac schreef op 22-11-2017 10:57:

> In your case - just destroy the cache (--uncache) and do not try to
> reuse cache-pool unless you really know what you are doing.

But I still don't know how to clean the metadata manually.

* Re: [linux-lvm] Reattach cache
@ 2017-11-22 11:03     ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2017-11-22 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development

Dne 22.11.2017 v 11:15 Xen napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kabelac schreef op 22-11-2017 10:57:
>
>> In your case - just destroy the cache (--uncache) and do not try to
>> reuse cache-pool unless you really know what you are doing.
>
> But I still don't know how to clean the metadata manually.

Just drop/lvremove the cache-pool and create the new one again.
There is no specific 'zeroing' metadata command.

And as said - newer tool will ZERO by default and you need to pass -Zn to
avoid zeroing (in case you want to reattach same cache-pool to unused data -
but as said you need to be skilled user knowing what you are doing for this
use case)

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] Reattach cache
@ 2017-11-22 10:53   ` Xen
From: Xen @ 2017-11-22 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

matthew patton schreef op 22-11-2017 10:16:
> by definition when you detach a cache it is now entirely invalid and
> will (should) be treated as empty.

Yeah but it wasn't.

Within seconds the rootfs was readonly and because I was running some
apt thing at the same time, now a large bunch of packages became
corrupted in the apt index (dpkg index).

A bunch are still missing md5 files but I am on limited bandwidth so not
reinstalling.

So I assumed the above that you write.

But it bit me once more.

* Re: [linux-lvm] Reattach cache
       [not found] <181942124.99954.1511342208833.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-11-22  9:16 ` matthew patton
From: matthew patton @ 2017-11-22  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

by definition when you detach a cache it is now entirely invalid and will (should) be treated as empty.