From: "Jens Rehsack" <rehsack@gmail.com>
To: Alexander Kanavin <alex.kanavin@gmail.com>
Cc: openembedded-architecture
	<openembedded-architecture@lists.openembedded.org>,
	OE-core <openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org>
Subject: Re: [OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] Proposal: community maintained recipes in oe-core
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 14:38:11 +0200	[thread overview]

> Am 05.05.2020 um 13:48 schrieb Alexander Kanavin <alex.kanavin@gmail.com>:
>
> On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 00:16, akuster <akuster808@gmail.com> wrote:
> the current maintenance model in openembedded-core is problematic due to lack of well-working process of finding maintainers, and replacing them when they're no longer able to contribute. This becomes especially frustrating when maintainers silently disappear, and perfectly fine patches produced by Auto Upgrade Helper and sent to them via private mail go wasted.
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by silently disappear.  By the time I have time to process an update, someone else has sent the patches.
>
> That means: a) not sending any patches, despite AUH reminders, for months; b) not otherwise active or visible on the lists. You wouldn't qualify, so no worries.

Jepp - happens often: people switch responsibilities / projects and even with best intensions to spend effort in spare time more and more things fall down.

>> I'm proposing that some of the recipes in oe-core - those that are known to lack an active maintainer - would be transitioned to 'community maintenance'.
> Define active
>
> The reverse of the above: sending patches OR otherwise active on the lists.
>

> Well that is one of the problems of putting tooling into the community's hands. It is made it easy to send updates to the list. Is not uncommon to accept "Update" as the only  information, do you expect the submmiter to deal with stable or the Package Maintainer?
>
> We can certainly ask anyone who sends a patch to try and provide more information about the update. The reason I'm not doing it is that I have too many updates to handle; but someone with only a few recipes should be better able to find time for it.

The process should be better described and developed than "sending the patch again" ...

> I agree there should be a way to update maintainers e-main once we determine they are not longer willing to take part in that program or absent. I believe this an issue in general for OpenSource has had to address over the years.
>
> My plan is to experiment with this for the python3* recipes in oe-core for a start: they've been bouncing between various people over the past couple of years, but no active maintainer has emerged.

I'd like to see 'non-systemd init' in, either :)

Cheers
--
Jens Rehsack - rehsack@gmail.com