* [linux-dvb] scan-s2 and dvb-apps
@ 2010-02-23 11:36 Manu Abraham
From: Manu Abraham @ 2010-02-23 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

Recently, quite some people have been requesting for scan-s2 a simple
scan application which has been hacked on top of the scan application
as available in the dvb-apps tree, to be integrated/pulled in to the
dvb-apps tree, after it's author moved on to other arenas.

http://www.mail-archive.com/vdr@linuxtv.org/msg11125.html

The idea initially was to have a cloned copy of scan as scan-s2.
Now, on the other hand scan-s2 is much more like scan and similar
functionality wise too.

Considering the aspects, do you think, that it is worthwhile to have

a) the scan-s2 application and the scan application as well integrated
into the repository, such that they both live together

or

b) scan-s2 does things almost the same as scan2. scan can be replaced
by scan-s2.

What are your ideas/thoughts on this ?

Regards,
Manu

* Re: [linux-dvb] scan-s2 and dvb-apps
@ 2010-02-23 13:06 ` Christophe Thommeret
From: Christophe Thommeret @ 2010-02-23 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media, linux-dvb

Le mardi 23 février 2010 12:36:13, Manu Abraham a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> Recently, quite some people have been requesting for scan-s2 a simple
> scan application which has been hacked on top of the scan application
> as available in the dvb-apps tree, to be integrated/pulled in to the
> dvb-apps tree, after it's author moved on to other arenas.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/vdr@linuxtv.org/msg11125.html
>
> The idea initially was to have a cloned copy of scan as scan-s2.
> Now, on the other hand scan-s2 is much more like scan and similar
> functionality wise too.
>
> Considering the aspects, do you think, that it is worthwhile to have
>
> a) the scan-s2 application and the scan application as well integrated
> into the repository, such that they both live together
>
> or
>
> b) scan-s2 does things almost the same as scan2. scan can be replaced
> by scan-s2.
>

> What are your ideas/thoughts on this ?

I think S2 scanning should simply be added to scan.
My 2cents.

--
Christophe Thommeret

* RE: [linux-dvb] scan-s2 and dvb-apps
@ 2010-02-23 13:16   ` Ahmad Issa
From: Ahmad Issa @ 2010-02-23 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media, linux-dvb

I think its better to use one application, so i prefer option (b)

@ 2010-02-23 16:06   ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2010-02-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Thommeret; +Cc: linux-media, linux-dvb

Christophe Thommeret wrote:
> Le mardi 23 février 2010 12:36:13, Manu Abraham a écrit :
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Recently, quite some people have been requesting for scan-s2 a simple
>> scan application which has been hacked on top of the scan application
>> as available in the dvb-apps tree, to be integrated/pulled in to the
>> dvb-apps tree, after it's author moved on to other arenas.
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/vdr@linuxtv.org/msg11125.html
>>
>> The idea initially was to have a cloned copy of scan as scan-s2.
>> Now, on the other hand scan-s2 is much more like scan and similar
>> functionality wise too.
>>
>> Considering the aspects, do you think, that it is worthwhile to have
>>
>> a) the scan-s2 application and the scan application as well integrated
>> into the repository, such that they both live together
>>
>> or
>>
>> b) scan-s2 does things almost the same as scan2. scan can be replaced
>> by scan-s2.
>>

>> What are your ideas/thoughts on this ?
>
> I think S2 scanning should simply be added to scan.

See http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/dvb-apps-isdbt2/

It adds support to DVB API v5 to the dvb-apps library. Originally, this were
done to add ISDB-T support, but the next patches added also DVB-T, DVB-C and
DVB-S support via APIv5. It also adds some DVB-S2 bits there. There are very
few things lacking there to fully implement DVB-S2. It shouldn't be hard to
add there also other standards like DVB-T2, ISDB-S, etc.

--

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: [linux-dvb] scan-s2 and dvb-apps
@ 2010-02-23 16:12     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2010-02-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Thommeret; +Cc: linux-media, linux-dvb

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Christophe Thommeret wrote:
>> Le mardi 23 février 2010 12:36:13, Manu Abraham a écrit :
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Recently, quite some people have been requesting for scan-s2 a simple
>>> scan application which has been hacked on top of the scan application
>>> as available in the dvb-apps tree, to be integrated/pulled in to the
>>> dvb-apps tree, after it's author moved on to other arenas.
>>>
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/vdr@linuxtv.org/msg11125.html
>>>
>>> The idea initially was to have a cloned copy of scan as scan-s2.
>>> Now, on the other hand scan-s2 is much more like scan and similar
>>> functionality wise too.
>>>
>>> Considering the aspects, do you think, that it is worthwhile to have
>>>
>>> a) the scan-s2 application and the scan application as well integrated
>>> into the repository, such that they both live together
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> b) scan-s2 does things almost the same as scan2. scan can be replaced
>>> by scan-s2.
>>>

>>> What are your ideas/thoughts on this ?
>> I think S2 scanning should simply be added to scan.
>
> See http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/dvb-apps-isdbt2/
>
> It adds support to DVB API v5 to the dvb-apps library. Originally, this were
> done to add ISDB-T support, but the next patches added also DVB-T, DVB-C and
> DVB-S support via APIv5. It also adds some DVB-S2 bits there. There are very
> few things lacking there to fully implement DVB-S2. It shouldn't be hard to
> add there also other standards like DVB-T2, ISDB-S, etc.

In time: this is a work in progress. Currently, it were tested only with ISDB-T
(i tested scan/zap and gnutv, all via DVB API v5). The advantage of adding it
at the library is that any application using it will also be capable of dealing
with the newly produced channel lists (as more fields will be needed to represent
the extra attributes of the new standards).

I got already some inputs for things to be improved. I'll start handling those
after the next kernel merge window.

Tests are appreciated, especially with other standards.

--

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: [linux-dvb] scan-s2 and dvb-apps
@ 2010-02-23 17:23     ` Manu Abraham
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Manu Abraham @ 2010-02-23 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Christophe Thommeret, linux-media, linux-dvb

Hi Mauro,

Please don't hijack threads. It's a basic courtesy. What's being
discussed in this thread, is completely different from your patch.

Best Regards,

@ 2010-02-23 22:54       ` Simon Kenyon
From: Simon Kenyon @ 2010-02-23 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Manu Abraham wrote:
> Please don't hijack threads. It's a basic courtesy. What's being
> discussed in this thread, is completely different from your patch.

seemed relevant to me

* Install Sasc-NG in FC12
@ 2010-02-24  9:43       ` Aslam Mullapilly
From: Aslam Mullapilly @ 2010-02-24  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi,

I'm trying to install Sasc-NG in my fedora 12. But no luck. It is showing Kernel error.

Does anybody installed Sasc-NG in fedora 12 or in latest kernel?

Regards,

Aslam

* Install Sasc-NG  in FC12
@ 2010-02-24  9:44       ` Aslam Mullapilly