From: Alex Talker <alextalker@yandex.ru>
To: linux-nvme <linux-nvme@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: NVMe over Fabrics host: behavior on presence of ANA Group in "change" state
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 18:04:08 +0300	[thread overview]

Thanks for the quick reply!

 > That's actually a misinterpretation. The above sentence refers to a
 > device reporting to be in ANA 'change', ie after reading the ANA log
 > and detecting that a given namespace is in a group whose ANA status
 > is 'change'.

Thus if I understand you correctly, you agree on behavior that the
timer(ANATT)
shouldn't be started upon seeing an empty ANA Group (in "change" state)
but rather when at least one namespace belongs to a group in such state?

 > In your case it might be feasible to not report 'change' at all, but
 > rather do an direct transition from one group to the other. If it's
 > just a single namespace the transition should be atomic, and hence
 > there won't be any synchronisation issues which might warrant a
 > 'change' state.

While it might be possible, I think that sometimes "change" state might
work as a sort of "I/O barrier"
when some changes on underlying block device might be in progress,
and in that case determining final state might not be that easy prior to
the operation end.
Please, do feel free to correct me if that's an inappropriate usage!
I'm still interested to hear tho more details on what synchronization
issues might arise as you mentioned?

 > Well, it certainly is an odd one, but should be doable. But note,
 > there had been some fixes to the ANA group ID handling; most recently
 > commit 79f528afa939 ("nvme-multipath: fix ANA state updates when a
 > namespace is not present"). So do ensure to have the latest fixes to
 > get the 'best' possible user-experience.

Well, i do agree that my approach is a tiny bit outstanding since I
catch such bugs
but I checked the nvme.git on this platform and the code my setup has
issues with is still there.
The commit you mentioned as I understood is made in regard to some race
condition or alike,
which is by the way abstractly speaking might as well be an infinite
loop if something goes awry
but I hope I won't ever met such an issue in production.

 > Typically it's the NVMe controller port which holds the ANA state;
 > for most implementation I'm aware of you have one or more (physical)
 > NVMe controller ports, which hosts the interfaces etc. They connect
 > to the actual storage, and failover is done by switching I/O between
 > those controller ports. Hence the ANA state is really property of
 > the controller port in those implementations.

So, in short, each port has just one group and all namespaces belong to it,
and thus all resources on the port change state at once?
I can agree that this is quite a simple setup in its own right too
however I'm thinking more in dimension of
"what if one namespace becomes unavailable, how to efficiently change
only its state without having an over-complicated ANA Group configuration?"
to be in foot with High Availability concept.
Of course I might have personalized ANA Group setup for each
installation/deployment but I preferred to start with something simple
yet flexible,
since standard doesn't exactly opposes an idea that change of ANA Group
involves possible change of the ANA state for a namespace too.

 > The ANATT value is useful if you have an implementation which takes
 > some time to facilitate the switch-over. As there is always a chance
 > of the switch-over going wrong the ANATT serves as an upper boundary
 > after which an ANA state of 'change' can be considered stale, and a
 > re-read is in order. So for the linux implementation it's a bit
 > moot; one would have to present a use-case where changing the ANATT
 > value would make a difference.

I can't think much of any particular example at this moment but from my
personal experience,
working with custom storage solutions on some operations might take
quite a while,
and even standard gives an example with ANATT=30 which I think some kind
of "magical constant"
from SCSI world where it needs to be customized from initiator's side in
order for things to hang out a little more.
On this regard, I'm more thinking from the perspective of giving an
administrator ability to customize the value if a need arises,
since I haven't had an idea of such value existing prior to catching my
(in silly way triggered) error.
For example, I think some operations on DRBD devices might take quite
reasonable amount of time,
and while we may argue on how useful DRBD in this setup anyway, I
mentioned it purely for example purposes.
I'm sure eventually, possibly especially with releases of NVMe HDDs on
the market,
real use-cases might be more often and I find implementing the
customization prior to that quite useful.

Best regards,
Alex