From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@conectiva.com.br>
To: Oliver Xymoron <oxymoron@waste.org>
Cc: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Albert Cranford <ac9410@bellsouth.net>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>,
	Linux Kernel List <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [patch 2/9] 2.5.6 lm_sensors
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 01:13:43 -0300	[thread overview]

Em Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 10:33:50PM -0500, Oliver Xymoron escreveu:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> > > Does this stuff still destroy thinkpads so badly they have to go back to
> > > ibm for a non warranty repair ? Nobody seems willing to provide straight
> > > answers, and I think they must be addressed before we merge such code
> >
> > Is there any other machine that is known to get fubar when using this code?
> > Perhaps a THINKPAD_SUPPORT in "Processor Types and Features", like there is
> > already for Toshiba and Dell laptops, that would disable the lm_sensors code,
> > and besides I think that this code should be marked EXPERIMENTAL, so that
> > users would be warned about these problems.

> Anything short of "Destroy my precious Thinkpad? [y/N]" probably is
> insufficient. Frankly, I don't think even that's enough. Once this is
> mainlined, someone will want to build a kitchen sink distro kernel with
> sensor support and if the code itself isn't autodetecting whether it's on
> a problematic platform, it won't be long before someone boots their
> Thinkpad off a friend's CDR and toasts it.

Oh, but that is more or less like the IDE options, if I don't read what is
there I can lose my data, specially with this dual p100 neptune I have here
with a buggy CMD640 IDE controler, running 2.5.latest-bk, rock solid! ;) And
IIRC some distros _already_ ship with lm_sensors, for the ones that don't the
current .config in the kernel srpm don't have the lm_sensors stuff selected.

But anyway, the lm_sensors team has to come with answers, if this is not
the case anymore, if some workaround was found, whatever.

People that compile the kernel should better know what he/she ask for...

- Arnaldo