From: Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
To: Frank Mayer <mayerf@tresys.com>
Subject: Re: Policy changes for policy management
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:14:53 +1000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 06:32:56PM -0400, Frank Mayer wrote:
> The primary types and domains we are using are as such:
>
> policy_src_t: The source files used to create a policy.  As I and others
> have mentioned before, we believe that the policy.conf file is the
> ultimate source file.  We are making proposed changes to the Makefile to
> install the policy.conf file as well as the ./policy/ make directory, and
> to ensure that the installed binary policy file is only ever built from
> the installed policy.conf file (the policy make directory is one means of
> generating the plicy.conf file).

What do you mean by "source"? When I here the word "source" I think of
the M4 files the sysadm edits.

Do you plan to remove this M4 processing, or do you have another
definition for the word source?

I am working on a proposal to insert more structure into the
source file for policy.conf, so I don't want to step on anybodies
toes (if at all possible).

> policy_config_t: The label for the binary file as is currently used.
>
> checkpolicy_t: The domain for the checkpolicy program.  Our goal is that
> this domain be restricted to read only policy_sr_t files, and is the ONLY
> domain capable of writing the installed binary file type (policy_config_t).

Sounds good.

> PROBLEM: Currently the Makefile uses gzip to compress the binary file.
> This is the only issue we can't resolve so far via changes to the
> Makefile.  We would like (hint, hint) checkpolicy to incorporate the zlib
> or similar library so that the src-->binary translation is all handled
> within the checkpolicy program (and domain). An interim solution might be
> for checkpolicy to fork/exec a gzip process directly within its current
> domain??

Another suggestion (which you may not like): Make the Makefile
executeable by putting "#!/usr/bin/make -f" at the top, and use this
to trigger the domain transition.

> load_policy_t: The domain for load_policy program.  The goal is that this
> domain (except for kernel_t) be the only domain with load_policy access to
> the security object.  We haven't tested this yet, but foresee no problems.

Again sounds good.

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>

--
You have received this message because you are subscribed to the selinux list.