From: Kevin Corry <kevcorry@us.ibm.com>
To: "Dimitry V. Ketov" <Dimitry.Ketov@avalon.ru>,
	<linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Partitioned loop device..
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:01:44 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 03:46, Dimitry V. Ketov wrote:
> Hello,
> 	Is there any (un)official patch for current stable (or
> development) kernel that makes loop device partitioned? I found one on
> the ftp://ftp.hq.nasa.gov/pub/ig/ccd/enhanced_loopback/ (it contains
> port of Scyld's partition enhancements), but it seems still needs a fix.
> In general I plan to use partitioned loop device to simulate real disks
> in linux labs, possibly with a help from Stephen Tweedie's testdrive
> fault simulator. I just wonder if partitionable/faultable loop device
> planned in the future official kernels, or it will be better to write a
> separate 'simulated disk' driver???
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dimitry.

You can already use Device-Mapper to create "partitions" on your loop devices,
so there's not much of a reason to add partitioning support to the loop
driver itself. There are a variety of tools you can use to set them up: EVMS,
LVM2, dmsetup, and I think there is/was a simple partitioning tool that uses
DM (dmpartx?).

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com