From: Emanoil Kotsev <emanuel@abc.at>
To: Daniel Chemko <dchemko@smgtec.com>, netfilter@lists.netfilter.org
Subject: Re: iptables 1.2.8 libc6 question
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 01:00:38 +0200	[thread overview]

ThanX Daniel,
unfortunately you are not telling me anything new.
My question is how could I point iptables to the other libc.

Few things are going trough my mind:

1) exporting and mounting trough nfs on the compile-machine and then pointing
the compiler to the directory mounted.
Question: after I install iptables where is it going to look for the
libraries?? I don't think it will find the proper path

2) copying the libraries for ex. in /usr/local/lib
Question: On target machine the libs are in /lib ??? would iptables find them
under /usr/local/lib (it is in ld.so.conf)

3) What about compiling iptables with no shared libraries as it will be
permanently used - are the libc6 -> libc-2.3.1 included in iptables?

4) perhaps the easiest way if possible at all would be to upgrade the target
machine

Which should I choose and are there any better ideas???

Thanks in advance for taking your time

unfortunately I tried to replace libc-2.2.5 on the target machine but it
wasn't good idea :-)) I ran into "hella trouble".

I was lucky to have a backup of the system and I can just recommend
BACKUP EVERYTHING POSSIBLE as often as you can - it safes time .

Unfortunately I don't want to restore everything from backup - so I wait for
your advises.

regards

- --

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 23:03, Daniel Chemko wrote:
> Cross compiling is not a trivial matter when cross compiling different
> systems. Basically unless you are running vanilla x86 with compatible
> versions of libc, you will run into hella troubles getting into it.  As
> a solution, you will need either the libc from the destination
> architecture on the build machine, and point the compiler to build the
> program against the other libraries. I have never done this with
> iptables, but that is how you would go about it.

- --
|| Emanoil Kotsev
|| tel. 0043 1 9253175
\\--- penguin friendly--