* usb in 2.4.22-pre6?
@ 2003-07-16  5:02 Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-07-16  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Greets everybody;

I have a camera, a Logitech(Sunplus ccd chipset) ClickSmart 310, usb
interface, that almost works with qcam-vc.  But I just noticed, after
rebooting to 2.4.22-pre6 earlier today, that the display on the
camera no longer is reporting 'PC', and that there are some messages
that look like problems in dmesg.

So my conclusion is that whatever has been adjusted in the usb stuffs,
has now rendered the camera totally un-reachable.

This would make life difficult as I'm currently in negotiations with
the Sunplus folks on the left coast trying to get a data sheet on the
chipset in it so that I might try to write a new driver for these.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: usb in 2.4.22-pre6?
@ 2003-07-16  5:15 ` Bernd Eckenfels
From: Bernd Eckenfels @ 2003-07-16  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <200307160102.07774.gene.heskett@verizon.net> you wrote:
> So my conclusion is that whatever has been adjusted in the usb stuffs,
> has now rendered the camera totally un-reachable.

have you started usbmgr or loaded the modules for chipset, hub and
devicetype?

Greetings
Bernd
--
eckes privat - http://www.eckes.org/
Project Freefire - http://www.freefire.org/

* Re: usb in 2.4.22-pre6?
@ 2003-07-16  5:28   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-07-16  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Eckenfels, linux-kernel

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 01:15, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>In article <200307160102.07774.gene.heskett@verizon.net> you wrote:
>> So my conclusion is that whatever has been adjusted in the usb
>> stuffs, has now rendered the camera totally un-reachable.
>
>have you started usbmgr or loaded the modules for chipset, hub and
>devicetype?
>
>Greetings
>Bernd
root@coyote root]# insmod usbmgr
insmod: usbmgr: no module by that name found

Is this some new option in the usb menu of a make xconfig?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: usb in 2.4.22-pre6?
@ 2003-07-16  6:15   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-07-16  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Eckenfels; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 07:15:35AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <200307160102.07774.gene.heskett@verizon.net> you wrote:
> > So my conclusion is that whatever has been adjusted in the usb stuffs,
> > has now rendered the camera totally un-reachable.
>
> have you started usbmgr or loaded the modules for chipset, hub and
> devicetype?

"usbmgr"?  I don't think that is even shipped by any distro anymore.

Try asking the authors of the driver for your device, as it lives
outside of the kernel tree, we can't do very much for you, sorry.

greg k-h

* Re: usb in 2.4.22-pre6?
@ 2003-07-16 11:06     ` Bernd Eckenfels
From: Bernd Eckenfels @ 2003-07-16 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:15:01PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> "usbmgr"?  I don't think that is even shipped by any distro anymore.

hmm.. i have it on my debian box and use it. it will configure the modules
dpeending on the device and allows me to run scripts on plug. What is the
new preffered way to do this?

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --
  o--o     *plush*  2048/93600EFD  eckes@irc  +497257930613  BE5-RIPE

* Re: usb in 2.4.22-pre6?
@ 2003-07-16 11:07     ` Bernd Eckenfels
From: Bernd Eckenfels @ 2003-07-16 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:28:00AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> insmod: usbmgr: no module by that name found

it is a user mode program in /usr/sbin/usbmgr

Greetings
Bernd
--

@ 2003-07-16 17:29       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-07-16 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Eckenfels; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:06:22PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:15:01PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > "usbmgr"?  I don't think that is even shipped by any distro anymore.
>
> hmm.. i have it on my debian box and use it. it will configure the modules
> dpeending on the device and allows me to run scripts on plug. What is the
> new preffered way to do this?

Try using the hotplug package instead.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: usb in 2.4.22-pre6?
@ 2003-07-18 17:36 ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-07-18 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gene.heskett, linux-kernel

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 01:02, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greets everybody;
>
>I have a camera, a Logitech(Sunplus ccd chipset) ClickSmart 310, usb
>interface, that almost works with qcam-vc.  But I just noticed,
> after rebooting to 2.4.22-pre6 earlier today, that the display on
> the camera no longer is reporting 'PC', and that there are some
> messages that look like problems in dmesg.
>
>So my conclusion is that whatever has been adjusted in the usb
> stuffs, has now rendered the camera totally un-reachable.
>
>This would make life difficult as I'm currently in negotiations with
>the Sunplus folks on the left coast trying to get a data sheet on
> the chipset in it so that I might try to write a new driver for
> these.

A PS: to this one, clues if you will, to be added to the other info
I've posted regarding a ClickSmart 310 camera, and the qcam-vc
drivers.

I built a kernel with usb debugging turned on, which made it work.
I'd also tried to build v4l into the kernel but that got an error
exit, so I went back to making it as a module.  So with everything
V4L related is as modules below.

The difference between the verbose usb debugging on/off apparently
does something to the timeing.  With the debugging on, it works but
the dmesg buffer is overrun so I don't get a full report only the
tail end, and with the debugging turned back off and the kernel
rebuilt, no other changes, then it fails, with these lines being
logged in /var/log/dmesg:
--------
vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0005
host/usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1641
hub.c: usb_hub_port_status (2) failed (err = -84)
hub.c: connect-debounce failed, port 3 disabled
--------

And the device is not intitialized.

Is this a usefull clue?

--