From: Nachman Yaakov Ziskind <awacs@egps.com>
To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc: Svein Ove Aas <svein.ove@aas.no>,
Subject: Re: DVD-RAM crashing system
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:13:55 -0400	[thread overview]

Alan Cox wrote (on Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:54:46PM +0100):
> On Gwe, 2003-07-18 at 23:08, Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> > My suggestion is this: As the hardware is obviously broken, and disabling
> > DMA would cause a horrendous performance drop anyway, you should get a new
> > chipset. Return the one you have as broken.
>
> Update to 2.4.20. That will put IDE disks into MWDMA2 on the Serverworks
> OSB4 and avoid the mistrigger with CD-ROM errors. The later serverworks
> (CSB5, CSB6) is fine btw but can hit the CD-ROM mistrigger too

I just did. Happiness is a machine that reboots remotely. Emboldened by my
success, I started a backup. Works like a charm, too. I hope my luck holds up!

How sweet it is.

Thanks to all who responded.

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, LLM         awacs@egps.com
Attorney and Counselor-at-Law           http://yankel.com