From: Ricardo Galli <gallir@uib.es>
To: Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.0-test1 Ext3 Ooops. Reboot needed.
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:13:23 +0200	[thread overview]

On Friday 18 July 2003 23:00, Andrew Morton shaped the electrons to shout:
> Ricardo Galli <gallir@uib.es> wrote:
> >  Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e9000018
> > EIP is at find_inode_fast+0x20/0x70
> > Call Trace:
> >  [<c0168e42>] iget_locked+0x52/0xc0
> >  [<c018a54b>] ext3_lookup+0x6b/0xd0
> >  [<c015cd92>] real_lookup+0xd2/0x100
>
> What is "famd"?  File access monitor daemon?  From where did you obtain it?

"File alteration monitor", from Debian. It uses portmapperand is recommended
to improve kde performance.

$ apt-cache show fam
Package: fam
 FAM monitors files and directories, notifying interested applications
 of changes.
 .
 This package provides a server that can monitor a given list of files
 and notify applications through a socket. If the kernel supports dnotify
 (kernels >= 2.4.x) FAM is notified directly by the kernel. Otherwise it has
 to poll the files' status. FAM can also provide a RPC service for monitoring
 remote files (such as on a mounted NFS filesystem).

Nevertheless I saw the same message the morning after updatedb run.

  ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34
  http://mnm.uib.es/~gallir/