* [linux-lvm] problem building LVM2 for 2.6 kernel
@ 2003-07-18 16:04 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2003-07-18 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

  in trying to set up LVM for the 2.6 kernel, i configured the
2.6.0-test1-ac2 version and selected device mapper and v4 ioctl
(this version of the kernel did not appear to need any patching),
rebuilt, and rebooted with the new kernel, and that seemed to go
smoothly.

  i then built and installed libdevmapper (the latest version
from today), and that again went smoothly.

  but when i tried to build the final LVM2 utilities, i ran

  # ./configure --with-lvm1=none
  # make

 which eventually produced:

device/dev-io.c: In function `dev_get_size':
device/dev-io.c:215: `BLKGETSIZE64' undeclared (first use in this function)
device/dev-io.c:215: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
device/dev-io.c:215: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [device/dev-io.o] Error 1
make: *** [lib] Error 2

  is there something i did wrong?  a patch i forgot to install?
thanks.

rday

* Re: [linux-lvm] problem building LVM2 for 2.6 kernel
@ 2003-07-18 18:47 ` Alasdair G Kergon
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Alasdair G Kergon @ 2003-07-18 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 05:02:29PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> 2.6.0-test1-ac2 version and selected device mapper and v4 ioctl

I've not tried this kernel, but assuming it contains BLKGETSIZE64
you'll need to compile LVM2 against newer glibc kernel headers
(e.g. update the package for your linux distribution or symlink
/usr/include/linux to include/linux in your -ac tree)

Alasdair
--
agk@uk.sistina.com

* Re: [linux-lvm] problem building LVM2 for 2.6 kernel
@ 2003-07-18 18:56   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2003-07-18 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 05:02:29PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > 2.6.0-test1-ac2 version and selected device mapper and v4 ioctl
>
> I've not tried this kernel, but assuming it contains BLKGETSIZE64
> you'll need to compile LVM2 against newer glibc kernel headers
> (e.g. update the package for your linux distribution or symlink
> /usr/include/linux to include/linux in your -ac tree)

i already added a 3-line patch that deals with that, but it would
be nice if that wasn't necessary.  i'll take a look at the possibility
of upgrading my glibc kernel headers.  you wouldn't know what
version i should be looking at offhand, would you?

@ 2003-07-18 20:46   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2003-07-18 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 05:02:29PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > 2.6.0-test1-ac2 version and selected device mapper and v4 ioctl
>
> I've not tried this kernel, but assuming it contains BLKGETSIZE64
> you'll need to compile LVM2 against newer glibc kernel headers
> (e.g. update the package for your linux distribution or symlink
> /usr/include/linux to include/linux in your -ac tree)

just FYI, i seem to have built a 2.6.0-test1-ac2 kernel with LVM2
support, and also built libdevmapper and the lvm utilities.  haven't
had time to actually use all that to start creating my VGs and LVs,
but the fact that it all built is a good sign.

@ 2003-07-20 19:56   ` Melinda Taylor
From: Melinda Taylor @ 2003-07-20 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm, Alasdair G Kergon

Quoting Alasdair G Kergon <agk@uk.sistina.com>:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 05:02:29PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > 2.6.0-test1-ac2 version and selected device mapper and v4 ioctl
>
> I've not tried this kernel, but assuming it contains BLKGETSIZE64
> you'll need to compile LVM2 against newer glibc kernel headers
> (e.g. update the package for your linux distribution or symlink
> /usr/include/linux to include/linux in your -ac tree)

Yes excellent - this worked for me with the 2.4.20 kernel

ln -sf /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux

and lvm2 tools will now compile without the "device/dev-io.c:215: `BLKGETSIZE64'"
error.

Thanks very much, now back to seeing if LVM2 will help me recover my 2 remaining
LV from a a 4xLV VG.

Melinda :)