* [U-Boot-Users] Debugging U-Boot with BDI2000
@ 2003-09-11 10:11 Glenson Muthedan
From: Glenson Muthedan @ 2003-09-11 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello!

I'm quite new to U-Boot and trying to get started with the
Bootloader-Stuff for some weeks now. My Board is similar to Accelent IDP
or CSB226(PXA250 with 32 MB Strataflash and 32 MB SDRAM).
U-Boot seems to crash on my board before it can output something through
the serial line. So I wanted step through U-Boot right from the very
first instruction using BDI2000 while booting. The problem is that the
information the bdi user manual gives, is quite confusing. I tried out
various configurations for BDI2000, but really don't know what to do
with the vector table in the "Mini IC" and the debug handler stuff.
The situation now is as following: The target is in debug mode right
from the start and the PC is pointing to 0xffff0004. "go" or "ti"
doesn't work because of access to an invalid memory address.
(My configuration file now contains a blank [INIT] section and no vector
table/debug handler stuff in the [TARGET] part)

I'd be very thankful if someone could answer my questions:

1) Is it possible to debug U-Boot with BDI2000 (Linux host) at all?
(eg. step through the instructions)

2) Do somebody have a working configuration file for BDI2000 (Linux
host) to be used with a PXA250-target?

Hope, you can give me at least a hint.

Regards,
Glenson Muthedan.

* [U-Boot-Users] Debugging u-boot with BDI2000
@ 2003-07-18 11:21 Juergen Beisert
From: Juergen Beisert @ 2003-07-18 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Wolfgang,

>>I'm trying to debug my u-boot with BDI. It's a 405GP based system.
>> In the telnet sessoin I can insert "reset run" and u-boot starts. When I
>> enter "reset halt" and then "go" it won't do anything. I have tried with
>> ddd
>
>What do you mean with "it won't do anything"? Who won't do  anything?
>The  BDI2000?  The  CPU?  What  makes  you  think the CPU does not do
>anything?

At first I thought the 405GP cpu does not start. On my card is a LED display,
so I can output some numbers very early in the startup process. With "reset
halt", "go" the display never change its contents, with "reset run" it does.

>Are you sure your BDI2000 config file is OK for your board?

Good question. What should happen, to be shure? I have debugged a running
Linux kernel with this configuration. So I think(!) the major settings are
ok.

>  How  did you  configure  "RESET  type"  and  "STARTUP  mode"?  Is  your
> "START address" ok?

RESET is not set, defaults to "SYSTEM"
STARTUP is set to RESET
START is set to 0x0000'0000 (readed from a default file)

With "reset halt", "info" I see the CPU waiting at address 0xFFFF'FFFC, after
one single step ("ti") it waits at address 0xFFFF'C0100. Seems ok.

>> When I step the mtmsr instruction ddd shows address 0x700, and the esr
>> register has 0x8800'0000 (illegal instruction occured?????).
>> Same when I place a breakpoint behind the mtmsr instruction und use "cont"
>> instead of "stepi".
>
>You  are  aware  that  you  cannot  single   step   through   certain
>instructions, aren't you?

If the mtmsr instruction is not "single step able", it should run, if I place
a breakpoint behind this instruction (for example later in the C routines)
and use "go" to run up the breakpoint. Or not?

>> What is the difference between "reset run" and "reset halt", "go"?

>"reset run" and "reset halt" change the startup  mode  to  "run"  and
>"halt",  respectively. "go" sets the PC and starts the target system.
>Ummm.. is there any specific part where the BDI2000 manual is unclear
>about this?

Perhaps my english is very bad. Question was: Why the cpu is running normal
with "reset run", and did not run, when I enter "reset halt", enter a
breakpoint and than "go" (it never reaches the breakpoint).

-- JB