Thus spake Steven Cole (elenstev@mesatop.com): > On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 10:03, Tomas Szepe wrote: > > > [Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net] > > > > > > On the other hand if everyone posted at the top it would be considerably > > > easier reading for those who have been following the conversation > > > without having to scroll down and figure out where comments and the > > > conversation is at. > > > > So how do you context-quote when replying at the top? > > > > Original text: > > > > Argument A. > > Argument B. > > > > Reply: > > > > Reply intro text. > > > > Reaction A. > > > Argument A. > > > > Reaction B. > > > Argument B. > > > > I don't think so. Awkward (mixing directions) and confusing. > > > > > For those new to the conversation they can just start at the bottom and > > > scroll up. > > > > Ever actually tried doing that? IMHO it's not half as practical and > > natural as reading from the top down. (You have to keep scrolling, > > searching for block starts.) > > I think Tomas has just hit upon why top posting is fundamentally wrong. > > Indo-European languages read left to right, Semitic languages read right > to left, and some Oriental languages read top to bottom, but no human > languages I'm aware of read bottom to top. > > Consider a Cafe sign: > > C > a > f > e > > That is readable. How about: > > e > f > a > C > > Not very readable unless you spend extra processing time to think about > it. Reading bottom to top is counter-intuitive and wastes time. Speaking > of which, apologies to all who feel they've wasted time by reading this. > > Hmm, it looks like you top-posters out there are in good company. > Marcelo seems to be taking the lead. Grumble. > I'm not saying you should write your paragraphs backwards such as your Cafe sign. It's more of an organizational thing than an order of reading thing. When I sort my ToDo list I put the things most important on top, when I sort my mail, I put the things I need to read on top, etc. This way the most important piece (the newest comment in this case) is on top and I don't have to go digging for it. Not everyone puts inline responses and they're not always needed. If you place some a good idea is one a co-worker uses: See inline comments below. 4 works, 1 line. Tells us there is content he added mixed in. Otherwise I don't have to waste time and effort digging through the rants, flames and fluff wondering "is there something down here?"... :wq! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu DISCLAIMER: These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else. Diagnosis: witzelsucht IPv6 = robert@ipv6.rdlg.net http://ipv6.rdlg.net IPv4 = robert@mail.rdlg.net http://www.rdlg.net