From: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
To: llandre <r&d@wawnet.biz>, linux-mtd@lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Help to understand error messages (MTD on Samsung NAND  chips)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:56:00 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thursday 31 July 2003 18:16, llandre wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> sorry for this late response, but I had to work for a couple of weeks on
> another project.
>
> Anyway I restored the original source files included in the kernel and I
> collected the debug information printed during the execution of the
> eraseall command.
> Here is a short dump of what I got:

>------------ bash-2.05# echo 9 >/proc/sys/kernel/printk
> bash-2.05# eraseall /dev/mtd0
> MTD_open
> MTD_ioctl
> Erasing 16 KibyMTD_ioctl
> te @ 0 --  0 % cnand_erase: start = 0x00000000, len = 16384
> omplete.nand_erase: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x00000000

Byte 5 of the OOB area in the first page of the block is != 0xFF.
That means, that this block is bad. Either it was set by the manufacturer,
which is possible as NAND chips can contain bad blocks, or JFFS2 / YAFFS do
it when they recognize a bad block, or you managed it anyhow to write the bad
block markers. I assume the latter.

Bad blocks may not be erased, as the bad block information may be destroyed
and you then would use a bad block for storing data.

--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux