On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 03:24:09PM -0600, Pat LaVarre wrote: > > > The reason for the unsolicited REQUEST-SENSE ... > > Help, lost me. > > I'm thinking usb-storage auto sense should always and only follow > bCSWStatus = x01 Failed. I'm thinking unsolicited auto sense should > occur only if the layers above request such an abuse - never > automagically. > > I'm thinking not injecting unsolicited auto sense is a part of the > unwritten specification that "everyone knows" helps hosts get along with > devices. > > No? Where have I gone wrong? Experience tells us that this is a flawed algorithm. > > Since sgp_dd asked for a 64-byte > > READ-CAPACITY, it gets what it deserves. > > Ah, here we educate me. > > I should prepare and forward a patch to correct sgp_dd? > > We the community now broadly accept this rule? We say apps own the job > of keeping the bus "on the thin diagonal" i.e. asking for precisely the > expected count of data bytes? Yes. Matt -- Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net Maintainer, Linux USB Mass Storage Driver Somebody call an exorcist! -- Dust Puppy User Friendly, 5/16/1998