Hello, (I'm posting this again with smaller attachments since my first attempt was over-sized and appears to be stuck in the moderator's in-tray. Many appologies if both posts appear -- the content is otherwise identical.) I've posted previously about problems getting the 9652 up-and-working. We overcame the original difficulties but have recently observed another problem of which we were previously unaware. I'll detail our setup first then the symptoms: Our setup: ---------- A RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 card on a SMP redhat 9 box. ALSA 0.9.6 with Thomas Charbonnel's hdsp driver patch applied. 12 input channels and three output channels, running at 96KHz 24bit samples. The output of "uname -a" on the box says: Linux wombat 2.4.20-19.9smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 15 16:45:28 EDT 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux The amixer settings we use: #!/bin/bash amixer -c 0 cset numid=11 0 amixer -c 0 cset numid=13 0 for i in $(seq 1 26);do amixer -c 0 cset name=Chn,index=$i 32768 done (ie. sync reference is an external word clock, the card should not use any internal clock source; and output channels should be turned on.) I've also attached the contents of /proc/asound/card0/hdsp as hdsp.txt. The symptoms: ------------ We connect a sine wave to the first 12 channels and record them, and see three channels -- 0, 4, and 8 -- are "corrupted". The remaining channels appear to be well-formed and look as we expect them to. We tried swapping the card with another identical card and the problem remained. We then tried swapping the HDSP 9652 with one of the older DIGI 9652 cards (and re-configuring ALSA) and the problem went-away. This indicates a problem with the HDSP 9652 or its driver (and absolves the cables, AD/DA, and our recording software). I've attached a plot of channel zero (corrupted) against channel one (uncorrupted) as data.jpg. We've determined that the samples on channel zero are incorrectly ordered. We've also found a formula that can reorder channel zero to closely follow the samples of channel one, modulo an expected difference in gain. More specifically, it appears as though the following is occuring for (the 96KHz) channel zero: 48kHz channel 0 samples: 0 2 4 6 ... 48kHz channel 2 samples: 1 3 5 7 ... expected 96KHz channel : 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... observed 96KHz channel : 1 0 3 2 5 4 7 6 ... (and we presume the same is happening for channels 4 and 8 also.) It seems most likely to be some code in the driver, or perhaps the mixer is responsible for this incorrect ordering. The questions are: - could this be a bug, perhaps in the hdsp driver? - alternatively, could this be due to some mixer setting that has been turned on by default unbeknownst to us? if so, how can we turn this off? any help much appreciated, nick. -- This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Nautronix Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this email in error and use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender. Although our computer systems use active virus protection software, and we take various measures to reduce the risk of viruses being transmitted in e-mail messages and attachments sent from this company, we cannot guarantee that such e-mail messages and attachments are free from viruses on receipt. It is a condition of our using e-mail to correspond with you, that any and all liability on our part arising directly or indirectly out of any virus is excluded. Please ensure that you run virus checking software on all e-mail messages and attachments before reading them.