* Re: redhat 9, doc 2000
       [not found] <E1A6pZU-0003Bs-DJ@pentafluge.infradead.org>
@ 2003-10-09 16:33 ` Slim
From: Slim @ 2003-10-09 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

> The GRUB's 'e' key will allow to edit the configuration file
> in-memory.
> And the 'c' key will bring to the GRUB's shell prompt.

Didn't work for me.

> When you get to the grub shell you can do something like:
>
> root (hd0)
> chainloader +1
> boot

Worked fine - thanks.  I'd like to incorporate the ctrl-key bypass
or better yet, have it recognize the bios setting to boot from C
instead.

So now I'm trying to mod the grub config on the doc, and I type:
   mount /dev/nftla /mnt/doc
and I get
   mount: /dev/nftla: unknown device
but
   ls -l /dev/nftla
gives
   brw-r--r--   1  root     93,   0 Sep 23 10:22 /dev/nftla

I double checked the bios - it's correct.  Is the doc corrupted?
What's the reformat sequence?

Thanks,
John

http://shopping.yahoo.com

* Re: redhat 9, doc 2000
@ 2003-10-10  1:40   ` Selwyn Tang
From: Selwyn Tang @ 2003-10-10  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slim; +Cc: linux-mtd

On 10/10/2003 12:33 AM, Slim wrote:
> Worked fine - thanks.  I'd like to incorporate the ctrl-key bypass
> or better yet, have it recognize the bios setting to boot from C
> instead.

AFAIK, the ctrl-bypass is the only option to make the grub on doc return
control to the bios.

>    mount /dev/nftla /mnt/doc
> and I get
>    mount: /dev/nftla: unknown device
> but
>    ls -l /dev/nftla
> gives
>    brw-r--r--   1  root     93,   0 Sep 23 10:22 /dev/nftla

/dev/nftla is the nftl device representing your doc, but not a
partition. You have to create a new partition on it. You may use fdisk
/dev/nftla to do create one. Suppose you only create one partition, you
will get /dev/nftla1, representing the first partition. Then, you should
use mke2fs /dev/nftla1 to create a ext-2 filesystem on it (assuming you
choose ext-2.

Selwyn

* Re: redhat 9, doc 2000
@ 2003-10-10  5:19     ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2003-10-10  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Selwyn Tang; +Cc: Slim, linux-mtd

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 09:40 +0800, Selwyn Tang wrote:
> >    mount: /dev/nftla: unknown device
>
> /dev/nftla is the nftl device representing your doc, but not a
> partition. You have to create a new partition on it.

No, you don't have to. If you were going to make only one partition,
that'd just be a gratuitous waste of space -- you'd do better just to
create your file system on /dev/nftla instead.

The problem is elsewhere. Check the driver is loaded and present in
/proc/devices. Check it's actually detected the NFTL on the DiskOnChip
-- what messages did you get at boot or when you loaded the modules?

--
dwmw2

* Re: redhat 9, doc 2000
       [not found] <E1A7v07-0003hH-Sp@pentafluge.infradead.org>
@ 2003-10-10 20:09 ` Slim
From: Slim @ 2003-10-10 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

> The problem is elsewhere. Check the driver is loaded and present in
> /proc/devices. Check it's actually detected the NFTL on the
> DiskOnChip

Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 ttyS
  5 cua
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 29 fb
 36 netlink
 90 mtd
128 ptm
129 ptm
136 pts
137 pts
162 raw

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  2 fd
  3 ide0
  9 md
 12 unnamed
 14 unnamed
 31 mtdblock
 38 unnamed
 39 unnamed
 44 ftl
 93 nftl
 94 inftl

> -- what messages did you get at boot or when you loaded the modules?

$Id: ftl.c,v 1.52 2003/08/11 09:00:44 dwmw2 Exp $
NFTL driver: nftlcore.c $Revision: 1.94 $, nftlmount.c $Revision: 1.34
$
INFTL: inftlcore.c $Revision: 1.14 $, inftlmount.c $Revision: 1.12 $
DiskOnChip 2000 found at address 0xC8000
Flash chip found: Manufacturer ID: 98, Chip ID: 75 (Toshiba:NAND 32MiB
3,3V)
3 flash chips found. Total DiskOnChip size: 96 MiB
mtd: Giving out device 0 to DiskOnChip 2000
INFTL: could not find valid boot record?
INFTL: could not mount device
NFTL: add_mtd for DiskOnChip 2000
Could not find valid boot record
NFTL: could not mount device
ftl_cs: FTL header not found.
Ignoring DiskOnChip 2000 at 0xCA000 - already configured
Ignoring DiskOnChip 2000 at 0xCC000 - already configured
Ignoring DiskOnChip 2000 at 0xCE000 - already configured

Is the invalid boot record the problem.  This sequency only happens
after I issue the root/chainloader/boot sequence from grub.

John

http://shopping.yahoo.com

* Re: redhat 9, doc 2000
@ 2003-10-07  2:55   ` Selwyn Tang
From: Selwyn Tang @ 2003-10-07  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

On 10/07/2003 05:34 AM, Slim wrote:
> the above, but the doc-grub always loads despite changing the boot
> device in the bios setup.  Now I can't boot from the hard drive unless I
> disable all access to the doc.  Any workaround?

I think you have built a GRUB firmware and written it on the DOC. But
there is a catch that the firmware will register as a BIOS extension
that will take over the boot sequence from the BIOS. You should patch
GRUB with the ctrlbypass functionality. It allows you to bypass the GRUB
on DOC and boot according to your BIOS by holding CTRL while booting. I
used grub-2003-01-08.doc.patch here. Refer to p.262-266 of Karim's book.

Now, to get back to boot from your harddisk and have a chance to rewrite
the correct firmware, you may try hotplugging your DOC after the system
is booted. Although it is a bit undesirable and dangerous, I tried once
and it seemed alright. Once, I even accidentally pulled out a DOC with a
screwdriver while the system was still running, and the DOC was not
damaged at all.

Selwyn

* Re: redhat 9, doc 2000
@ 2003-10-06 22:00   ` Michael McLellan
From: Michael McLellan @ 2003-10-06 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slim; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Slim wrote:

> I've tried now to boot the hard disk based kernel to allow editing to
> try the above, but the doc-grub always loads despite changing the boot
> device in the bios setup.  Now I can't boot from the hard drive unless I
> disable all access to the doc.  Any workaround?

When you get to the grub shell you can do something like:

root (hd0)
chainloader +1
boot

This will make grub start booting from the first sector of hd0, which is
probably where your harddisk is.

This is where I'm up to, I cannot get grub to recognise the DoC, the only
devices I have avalible is (fd0) and (hd0) :(

Mikey.

* Re: redhat 9, doc 2000
@ 2003-10-06 21:51   ` Ilguiz Latypov
From: Ilguiz Latypov @ 2003-10-06 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 02:34:35PM -0700, Slim wrote:
> > When you can boot from doc using grub, that's a good start. You may
> > actually edit the boot command line when grub is booted. It supports
> > auto-completion for you to easily locate your kernel image.
>
> I've tried now to boot the hard disk based kernel to allow editing to
> try the above, but the doc-grub always loads despite changing the boot
> device in the bios setup.

The GRUB's 'e' key will allow to edit the configuration file in-memory.
And the 'c' key will bring to the GRUB's shell prompt.

--
Ilguiz Latypov

tel.  +1 (519) 569-8746
66 Wildlark Crescent
Kitchener, Ontario N2N 3E9

* Re: redhat 9, doc 2000
       [not found] <E1A6b7A-0004WA-Gx@pentafluge.infradead.org>
@ 2003-10-06 21:34 ` Slim
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Slim @ 2003-10-06 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

> Did you copy the kernel image (like bzImage) to your doc and
configure
> the grub settings on your doc correctly?

I copied the entire /boot to the doc.

> I put my bzImage in /boot and in grub/menu.lst I have the following:
>
> title DiskOnChip 2000
> 	root (dc0,0)
> 	kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=/dev/nftla1

This is the part I wasn't sure about.

@ 2003-09-30  2:00 ` Selwyn Tang
From: Selwyn Tang @ 2003-09-30  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chiasson, John; +Cc: linux-mtd

Hi John,

On 09/29/2003 10:05 PM, Chiasson, John wrote:
> me to an example for booting the redhat 9 kernel from the doc?  I tried
> copying the /boot tree over, but no joy.

Did you copy the kernel image (like bzImage) to your doc and configure
the grub settings on your doc correctly?

I put my bzImage in /boot and in grub/menu.lst I have the following:

title DiskOnChip 2000
	root (dc0,0)
	kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=/dev/nftla1

When you can boot from doc using grub, that's a good start. You may
actually edit the boot command line when grub is booted. It supports
auto-completion for you to easily locate your kernel image.

Hope this helps!

Selwyn

* redhat 9, doc 2000
@ 2003-09-29 14:05 Chiasson, John
From: Chiasson, John @ 2003-09-29 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

After successfully compiling a kernel with doc access, I've
finally got it booting (into grub) with the grub patch.  Can anyone point