* [U-Boot-Users] Ramdisk for MPC8xx
       [not found] <20031010132205.90468.qmail@web40406.mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2003-10-10 13:28 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-10-10 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Raghu,

in message <20031010132205.90468.qmail@web40406.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> > Well, did you read the README ?
> Yes, I did but I am not very clear about the mem map.

There is some documentation around, including the HOWTO
(now at http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/PPCEmbedded/Introduction)
and mailing list archives.

> > AFAIK this code never made it into the public Linux
> > kernel tres.
>
> I think this is the same on on the www.kernel.org site

I mean: we added this to the DENX linux kernel  trees,  but  I  don't
expect to find it in the public trees.

> > This is why I recommended our SELF bassed ramdisk
> > image.
>
> I tried your suggeted ramdisk image and also set the
> initrd_high = ffffffff and IT WORKED !!!
> Thank you so much.

You're welcome.

> I have a dubious distinction of never getting the
> busybox built by me up and running :-)

See the SELF (either from the ELDK RPM or from our FTP server).

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"You shouldn't make my toaster angry." - Household security explained
in "Johnny Quest"

* [U-Boot-Users] Ramdisk for MPC8xx
@ 2003-10-10 13:06     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-10-10 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <20031010123810.34997.qmail@web40401.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> > Check CFG_BOOTMAPSZ and the "initrd_high"
> > environment  variable.  You
> > may even try and use "initrd_high=0xFFFFFFFF".
>
> I have it as,
>
> #define CFG_BOOTMAPSZ    ( 8 << 20 )    /* Initial
> Memory map for Linux */

Well, did you read the README ?

> > Note that this might require cooperation by  the
> > Linux  kernel  (for
> > example  so  that it does not attempt to free pages
> > which are in fact
> > in flash memory). In our versions  of  the  Linux
> > kernel  tree  this
> > should be working fine.
>
> I have linux-2.4.22 from www.ppckernel.org, is there
> any kernel configuration I need to add ?

AFAIK this code never made it into the public Linux kernel tres.

> I got one prebuilt ramdisk from ftp.denx.du
> "sime-ramdisk.PPCBoot" and this worked fine. But it
> dosent have any utilities that I would like to use.

This is why I recommended our SELF bassed ramdisk image.

> I am also trying to use busybox-0.60.5 but when I
> build a ramdisk out of that the kernel dosent
> recognise that.

Seems you must be doing something wrong, then.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Die meisten Menschen pflegen im Kindesalter vom Zeigen auf Gegenst?n-
de (Mausbewegung) und "ga" sagen  (Mausklick)  abzukommen,  zugunsten
eines  m?chtigeren  und langwierig zu erlernenden Tools (Sprache).
                             -- Achim Linder in de.comp.os.linux.misc

* [U-Boot-Users] Ramdisk for MPC8xx
@ 2003-10-10 12:38   ` Raghu
From: Raghu @ 2003-10-10 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Thanks Wolfgang,

> Check CFG_BOOTMAPSZ and the "initrd_high"
> environment  variable.  You
> may even try and use "initrd_high=0xFFFFFFFF".

I have it as,

#define CFG_BOOTMAPSZ    ( 8 << 20 )    /* Initial
Memory map for Linux */

> Note that this might require cooperation by  the
> Linux  kernel  (for
> example  so  that it does not attempt to free pages
> which are in fact
> in flash memory). In our versions  of  the  Linux
> kernel  tree  this
> should be working fine.

I have linux-2.4.22 from www.ppckernel.org, is there
any kernel configuration I need to add ?

I got one prebuilt ramdisk from ftp.denx.du
"sime-ramdisk.PPCBoot" and this worked fine. But it
dosent have any utilities that I would like to use.

I am also trying to use busybox-0.60.5 but when I
build a ramdisk out of that the kernel dosent
recognise that.

Warm Regards
Raghu.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

* [U-Boot-Users] Ramdisk for MPC8xx
@ 2003-10-10 10:25 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-10-10 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Raghu,

in message <20031010031718.18835.qmail@web40412.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I am porting linux-2.4.22 to MPC852T based board. I
> have an issue with the Ramdisk. I have a total of 64MB
> SDRAM, and I am creating a ramdisk of 32MB. The
> compressed Ramdisk file is of 3.4MB size. Look like
> when I do the "bootm" command the Ramdisk is
> corrupting some important u-boot data. I have the
> console dump below.

Check CFG_BOOTMAPSZ and the "initrd_high" environment  variable.  You
may even try and use "initrd_high=0xFFFFFFFF".

Note that this might require cooperation by  the  Linux  kernel  (for
example  so  that it does not attempt to free pages which are in fact
in flash memory). In our versions  of  the  Linux  kernel  tree  this
should be working fine.

See the README.

> Is there a minimal Ramdisk that I can directly use ??

Sure. Our SELF based images can be found at
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"There is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things
we don't know yet."                                  - Ambrose Bierce

* [U-Boot-Users] Ramdisk for MPC8xx
@ 2003-10-10  3:17 Raghu
From: Raghu @ 2003-10-10  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello All,

I am porting linux-2.4.22 to MPC852T based board. I
have an issue with the Ramdisk. I have a total of 64MB
SDRAM, and I am creating a ramdisk of 32MB. The
compressed Ramdisk file is of 3.4MB size. Look like
when I do the "bootm" command the Ramdisk is
corrupting some important u-boot data. I have the
console dump below.

Is there a minimal Ramdisk that I can directly use ??

Warm Regards
Raghu.

=>tftpload 1000000 uImage
TFTP from server 10.208.1.90; our IP address is
10.208.1.247
Filename 'uImage'.
Load address: 0x1000000
done
Bytes transferred = 649227 (9e80b hex)

=>tftpload 2000000 ramdisk
TFTP from server 10.208.1.90; our IP address is
10.208.1.247
Filename 'ramdisk'.
Load address: 0x2000000
done
Bytes transferred = 3685400 (383c18 hex)

=>bootm 1000000 2000000
## Booting image at 01000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux 2.4.22 Kernel Image
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip
compressed)
   Data Size:    649163 Bytes = 633.9 kB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
## cmdline at 0x007FFF00 ... 0x007FFF10
memstart    = 0x00000000
memsize     = 0x04000000
flashstart  = 0xFE000000
flashsize   = 0x00100000
flashoffset = 0x0001B000
sramstart   = 0x00000000
sramsize    = 0x00000000
immr_base   = 0xFF000000
bootflags   = 0x00000001
intfreq     =     50 MHz
busfreq     =     50 MHz
ethaddr     = 00:00:00:00:00:02
IP addr     = 10.208.1.247
baudrate    =  38400 bps
   Image Name:   Linux Ramdisk Image
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip
compressed)
   Data Size:    3685336 Bytes =  3.5 MB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000