From: Carsten Grohmann <carsten.grohmann@raumbildsysteme.de>
To: russell@coker.com.au, SE Linux <selinux@tycho.nsa.gov>
Subject: Re: trusted vs untrusted packages
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:33:39 +0200	[thread overview]

I think the idea of signed rpms is good and useful.

> RPMs can be signed or unsigned.  If an RPM is signed by a trusted
> organization then there should be some differences in an SE Linux
> install than if it is not signed or if we don't trust the signer.

Whom should we trust? The people of the personal web of trust?

> One idea is to have signed packages be installed by rpm running
> as rpm_t and unsigned packages be installed by rpm running as
> rpm_unsigned_t [1].  So for example we could allow rpm_unsigned_t
> to install files in /sbin as sbin_unsigned_t and in /bin as
> bin_unsigned_t [2].  Then a program installed from an untrusted
> package can't be run from sysadm_t, and if it's run from other
> trusted domains (EG part of the mail server) then it could
> trigger an automatic domain transition to an appropriate domain.

I'm not sure, about this idea. Because it is necessary to patch rpm
and the most rpms I've seen creates the file context during the
post install squence using chcon. On the other side we have more
secure packages with a (little bit) more complex policy.

What's about debian packages? Would you sign this too and adapt the
package tools to handle the file context?