* [U-Boot-Users] Enhanced SDRAM tests with u-boot
@ 2003-10-20 17:03 Thomas Schäfer
From: Thomas Schäfer @ 2003-10-20 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

I have problems with the Bringup of a custom MPC8280 board and I assume that SDRAM could be the reason. When performing memory tests on the complete SDRAM with the test routines included with u-boot 0.4.5, everything is working fine. Also, u-boot is running without problems. But when booting a (known to work) linux kernel (2.4.18, MontaVista 3.0), I get exceptions after decompressing the kernel (alignment, 0x600) and when executing the initial scripts (program, 0x700). So I would like to perform more sophisticated SDRAM tests with u-boot, including burst tests. Is there anybody who has done this before? Any hints are appreciated.

Best regards

Thomas Sch?fer

____________________________________

GIGA STREAM GmbH

Konrad-Zuse-Str. 7
66115 Saarbr?cken

Tel.: + 49 (0)681 / 95916 - 203
Fax:  + 49 (0)681 / 95916 - 100
E-mail: tschaefer at giga-stream.de

* [U-Boot-Users] Enhanced SDRAM tests with u-boot
@ 2003-10-21  0:17 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-10-21  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <FIEJJAKAABLMHFKFECNJGEKOGPAA.tschaefer@giga-stream.de> you wrote:

> I have problems with the Bringup of a custom MPC8280 board and I assume
> that SDRAM could be the reason. When performing memory tests on the
> complete SDRAM with the test routines included with u-boot 0.4.5,
> everything is working fine. Also, u-boot is running without problems.
> But when booting a (known to work) linux kernel (2.4.18, MontaVista
> 3.0), I get exceptions after decompressing the kernel (alignment, 0x600)
> and when executing the initial scripts (program, 0x700). So I would like
> to perform more sophisticated SDRAM tests with u-boot, including burst
> tests. Is there anybody who has done this before? Any hints are
> appreciated.

I think it makes little sense  to  spend  effort  on  additional  RAM
tests.  From  the symptoms you describe you can be SURE that your RAM
initialization sequence is broken.

Better invest the time in fixing this.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
There is a time in the tides of men, Which, taken at its flood, leads
on to success. On the other hand, don't count on it.   - T. K. Lawson