On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 05:44:22PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote: > > > Adaptec has been looking at the MD driver for a foundation for their > > > Open-Source software RAID stack. > > > > Hi, > > > > Is there a (good) reason you didn't use Device Mapper for this? It > > really sounds like Device Mapper is the way to go to parse and use > > raid-like formats to the kernel, since it's designed to be independent > > of on disk formats, unlike MD. > > As I've understood it, the configuration for DM is userspace and the kernel > can't do any auto detection. This would be a "put off" for me to use as a > root filesystem. Configurations like this (and lvm too last I looked at it) > require an initrd or some other way of setting up the device. Unfortunately > this means that there's configs in 2 locations (one not easily available, if > using initrd. easily != mounting via loop!) the kernel is moving into that direction fast, with initramfs etc etc... It's not like the userspace autodetector needs configuration (although it can have it of course)