From: Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>
To: u-boot@lists.denx.de
Subject: [U-Boot-Users] Statically assigned IP addresses
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:06:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear John,

in message <C7FFFEA58B43D311920D0004ACE5333F10E4F500@amer25.avnet.com> you wrote:

> understanding of U-boot:  In our firmware, Ethernet is enabled
> at start-up, and we always answer pings.  (And you do not need
> interrupts to do that -- our firmware runs polled and handles
> pings just fine.)  I am in the habit of thinking that if a node

Thaty means you have to implement some kind of multitasking.  or  how
do you poll the network interface while another command is running?

> doesn't answer a ping, it is inoperable.  Also, we run a TFTP

That is not true.

> server on the board, with a client on the PC.  This way, the PC

That is pretty non-standard. The typical  way  to  bootstrap  systems
from  a boot server is that the boting system will use TFTP / BOOTP /
DHCP as a _client_.

> *	Pings are not answered.

Because U-Boot is single-tasking.

> *	Ethernet is brought up only when one runs tftpboot
> 	et al.

Because there is no use in wasting time to bring up interfaces  which
are not used. U-Boot is intended to allow for fast booting.

> *	There appears to be no way to use TFTP to copy data
> 	from the board to the PC.

Please feel free to add a TFTP upload command.

> These are U-boot design decisions; my error was in expecting
> something else.

Indeed.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.