From: Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>
To: Scott Switzer <scott@switzer.org>
Cc: netfilter@lists.netfilter.org
Subject: Re: IPTables Performance...
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:15:17 +0200	[thread overview]

[Cc'ing netfilter list, since that is the right place for this kind of
question]

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:56:12PM +0100, Scott Switzer wrote:

> My company serves thousands of small HTTP requests per second (roughly
> 3000 connections per second with a max of 10k request size - 50Mbps
> bandwidth), and we have just maxed out our Netscreen 204 (128,000
> simultanious sessions).  The next level of Netscreen is roughly $50K,
> and I received advice to use either iptables or pf rather than a
> proprietary firewall.  Since our requirements regarding the complexity
> of a firewall (outside of throughput) are reletively small (no complex
> rule sets), I am willing to look at this option.
>
> In short:
> Can iptables manage this kind of load?

sure!

> What are the hardware resources that are needed for this?  I have a AMD
> 2.2Ghz Opteron with 2Gb memory which could be used for this task.  It
> this sufficient?

I would say it's way more than sufficient ;)  I've been doing firewall
benchmarking at multiple gigabit speeds on dual opteron boxes ;)... with
a single opteron you should be able to do at least 250.000 packets per
second, even without any tuning and a very suboptimal ruleset.

> What kernel would you recommend for this?

2.6.7

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>             http://www.netfilter.org/