On Tuesday 21 December 2004 17:38, martin f krafft wrote: > also sprach Lindsay Haisley [2004.12.21.1731 +0100]: > > The point is that as long as Gentoo provides this feature, which > > overrides udev rules at boot then udev is potentially only useful > > for configuring hot plugged devices on a running system and the > > question of udev rules and permissions.d for setting boot-time > > options is moot. > > ... for Gentoo systems, yes. > > Anyway, since the tarball thingie really just defeats the purpose of > udev, I doubt that Gentoo will support it much longer. AFAIK the tarball was only a workaround for older udev versions on which some nodes (e.g. /dev/console which is needed for booting) were missing during bootup. I guess they're fixed now and there is no problem running udev without the tarball. Thanks, Tobias