On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 02:00:49 CDT, David Masover said: > >>Speaking of backup, that's another nice place for a plugin. Imagine a > >>dump that didn't have to be of the entire FS, but rather an arbitrary > >>tree... That might be a nice new archive format. I know Apple already > >>uses something like this for their dmg packages. > > Hmm.. you mean like 'tar' or 'cpio' or 'pax' or 'rsync'? :) > No, a dmg is an OS X program installer. It appears to be a disk image > of sorts. So this is the backup idea in reverse. I was addressing the ability to deal with an arbitrary tree. By that definition, a dmg, being a disk image and not a tree image, is *not* what you want....