From: Eugene Surovegin <ebs@ebshome.net>
To: Simon Haynes <simon@baydel.com>
Cc: linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: ibm emac driver update
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:14:57 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 05:26:34PM +0000, Simon Haynes wrote:
> I am running a Ebony board with linux-2.6.12-rc1 and I amd having intermittent
> network problems. Having searched the archives it would seem that the driver
> for the IBM EMAC is buggy ?
>
> I have tried to patch my kernel with
>
> http://kernel.ebsname.net/emac/4xx_napi_emac.diff
>
> I believe this is almost a total driver re-write. Is this correct ?
>
> After having a couple of problems applying the patch, Kconfig and
> ibm_emac_core.c. I fixed up the original code and applied the patch.
>
> On compilation the build fails with missing references to kzalloc,
> which I guess I could easily fix with kmalloc and memset.
>
> However there is also an undefined field,  dcr_base, in the ocp_func_mal_data
> structure.  This structure appears to be defined in include/asm/ibm_ocp.h and
> this file does not appear to be changed by the patch. I guess this patch is
> for a later kernel.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable patch for this kernel ?

I'm not sure about 2.6.12-rc1, but you can try GIT tree/patches at
http://kernel.ebshome.net.

Hint: you can assume that in addition to emac_3-2.6-28.diff, there are
also emac_3-2.6-NN.diff (NN < 28) on my website which were made for
earlier kernel versions :).

Alternatively, you can backport all relevant stuff from current 2.6 or
you can pay someone to do this for you.

--
Eugene