From: Denny Priebe <spamtrap@siglost.org>
To: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Repeated USB disconnect and reconnect with Wacom Intuos3 6x11 tablet
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:42:54 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:38:32AM -0800, Greg KH wrote with possible deletions:

Hello,

> > These disconnects and reconnects disappear as soon as there's
> > a process reading either /dev/input/mouse0 or /dev/input/event5
> > (mouse0 and event5 according to my setup).

> Sounds like a hardware problem, the kernel can't cause a device to
> electronically disconnect itself like this.

thanks for your reply, Greg.

> I suggest plugging this into a different port, using a powered hub, or
> checking that the cable is still good.

I tried what you have suggested. Unfortunately, this doesn't change
anything.

What confuses me a bit is that theses USB disconnects do not appear
as soon as I read what the tablet provides.

Could it be that the usb driver doesn't check for a connect status change
while there's a process reading /dev/input/{mouse,event}? so that I do not
see these disconnects while reading the tablet data?

Or could it be that something prevents the tablet from disconnecting itself
when a process is reading the tablet data?

Regards,
Denny