On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 10:57:35AM -0500, David Masover wrote: > > Wil Reichert wrote: > > >Any idea how the fragmentation resulting from re-syncing the tree > >affects performance over time? > > Yes, it does affect it a lot. I have no idea how much, and I've never > benchmarked it, but purely subjectively, my portage has gotten slower > over time. Delayed allocation still performs a lot better here than the v3 "immediate" allocation. In addition, tree balancing operations are performed on flush as well, so what you get on disk is basically an almost-optimal tree. Of course, this will change a bit over time, but with v4 it takes a lot longer for that to happen than with v3 afaict. There _has_ been some worthwile development in the meantime : ) Kind regards, Chris