From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@cl.cam.ac.uk>
To: xen-devel@lists.xensource.com
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@amd.com>,
	Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@suse.de>
Subject: Re: [rfc/patch] pv-on-hvm: make netfront grab PCI ressources.
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:55:55 +0000	[thread overview]

> Then it doesn't work.  Can you do that in xen?  I had the impression
> you'll have to use the qemu default nic ...
>
> > Or is the rtl8139 in the above example just another word for "some
> > network card in QEMU"?
>
> No, it matches the 8139 pci id.  For other cards it needs simliar code
> (and qemu a patch to add the xensource subsystem id ...).

Is there a future proofing issue here?  Future versions of the device models
may use a different emulated network device (e.g. there's recurrent
discussion about whether we ought to emulate a device that will give us
better potential for IO batching).

Guests that are deployed now may still be running on future versions of Xen
with updated device models.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.