* Which CPU for VIA C7/Esther?
@ 2007-02-12 17:37 Mark de Vries
From: Mark de Vries @ 2007-02-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I've been googeling for about an hour now and can't find an answer to:
What type of CPU should I select when compiling a recent 2.6 kernel if I
have a VIA Esther CPU?

Please CC me, I'm not on the list.

Thanks & Regards,
Mark.

~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : VIA Esther processor 1200MHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 1200.189
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce apic sep mtrr pge cmov
pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm nx up pni est tm2 rng rng_en ace
ace_en
bogomips        : 2407.15

* Re: Which CPU for VIA C7/Esther?
@ 2007-02-12 19:14 ` Kyle McMartin
From: Kyle McMartin @ 2007-02-12 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark de Vries; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 06:37:38PM +0100, Mark de Vries wrote:
> I've been googeling for about an hour now and can't find an answer to:
> What type of CPU should I select when compiling a recent 2.6 kernel if I
> have a VIA Esther CPU?

> stepping        : 9

config MVIAC3_2
        bool "VIA C3-2 (Nehemiah)"
        help
          Select this for a VIA C3 "Nehemiah". Selecting this enables usage
          of SSE and tells gcc to treat the CPU as a 686.
          Note, this kernel will not boot on older (pre model 9) C3s.

Is the one you want, I believe.

Cheers,
	Kyle

* Re: Which CPU for VIA C7/Esther?
@ 2007-02-12 20:16   ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2007-02-12 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle McMartin; +Cc: Mark de Vries, linux-kernel

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 02:14:41PM -0500, Kyle McMartin wrote:
 > On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 06:37:38PM +0100, Mark de Vries wrote:
 > > I've been googeling for about an hour now and can't find an answer to:
 > > What type of CPU should I select when compiling a recent 2.6 kernel if I
 > > have a VIA Esther CPU?
 >
 > > stepping        : 9
 >
 > config MVIAC3_2
 >         bool "VIA C3-2 (Nehemiah)"
 >         help
 >           Select this for a VIA C3 "Nehemiah". Selecting this enables usage
 >           of SSE and tells gcc to treat the CPU as a 686.
 >           Note, this kernel will not boot on older (pre model 9) C3s.
 >
 > Is the one you want, I believe.

The C7 doesn't seem to care much which you optimise it for.
Any of the 686 options should work just fine, but MVIAC3_2 is no
worse than any of the others.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

* Re: Which CPU for VIA C7/Esther?
@ 2007-02-12 23:46     ` Simon Arlott
From: Simon Arlott @ 2007-02-12 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones, Kyle McMartin, Mark de Vries, linux-kernel

On 12/02/07 20:16, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 02:14:41PM -0500, Kyle McMartin wrote:
>  > On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 06:37:38PM +0100, Mark de Vries wrote:
>  > > I've been googeling for about an hour now and can't find an answer to:
>  > > What type of CPU should I select when compiling a recent 2.6 kernel if I
>  > > have a VIA Esther CPU?
>  >
>  > > stepping        : 9
>  >
>  > config MVIAC3_2
>  >         bool "VIA C3-2 (Nehemiah)"
>  >         help
>  >           Select this for a VIA C3 "Nehemiah". Selecting this enables usage
>  >           of SSE and tells gcc to treat the CPU as a 686.
>  >           Note, this kernel will not boot on older (pre model 9) C3s.
>  >
>  > Is the one you want, I believe.
>
> The C7 doesn't seem to care much which you optimise it for.
> Any of the 686 options should work just fine, but MVIAC3_2 is no
> worse than any of the others.

MVIAC3_2 doesn't enable X86_GOOD_APIC, try M686 (Pentium-Pro) - but that won't enable MMX and SSE (via -march=c3-2).
These CPUs support SSE2 too... there should probably be an option for C7 that passes 686/mmx/sse/sse2 to gcc. (The c3-2 option could even cause gcc to alter code for the C3-2 that's not necessary for the C7, but I've not checked what else gcc does with -march=c3-2).

Also, for the C7 you'll want CRYPTO_DEV_PADLOCK_* (Hardware Crypto Devices, Support for VIA PadLock ACE) and HW_RANDOM_VIA (VIA HW Random Number Generator support).

--
Simon Arlott

* Re: Which CPU for VIA C7/Esther?
@ 2007-02-12 23:59       ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2007-02-12 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Arlott; +Cc: Kyle McMartin, Mark de Vries, linux-kernel

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:46:46PM +0000, Simon Arlott wrote:

 > MVIAC3_2 doesn't enable X86_GOOD_APIC

which is pretty irrelevant unless you have a dual C7.

 > , try M686 (Pentium-Pro) - but that won't enable MMX and SSE (via -march=c3-2).

If gcc generated SSE/MMX instructions that would be a bug. (hint: it doesn't).

 > These CPUs support SSE2 too...

The SSE/SSE2/SSE3 etc support for userspace is unconditional. The context switch paths will
save/restore the registers regardless of the CPU you've compiled your kernel for.
The only SSE code in the kernel is the memcpy code (which wasn't that big a win when
I last tried it on VIA due to their poor memory bandwidth), and the RAID code, which
gets tested at runtime rather than compile time.

 > Also, for the C7 you'll want CRYPTO_DEV_PADLOCK_* (Hardware Crypto Devices, Support for VIA PadLock ACE) and HW_RANDOM_VIA (VIA HW Random Number Generator support).

Yes. But these aren't dependant on any CPU config options.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk