All of lore.kernel.org
From: Valerie Henson <val_henson@linux.intel.com>
To: Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com>,
	Michael Kerrisk <mtk-manpages@gmx.net>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Documenting MS_RELATIME
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:42:11 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:40:10AM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

> The one problem with noatime is that mutt's 'new mail arrived' breaks
> as you mentioned in the relatime changelog, so I'm surprised that
> they turned it on by default.  With relatime fixing that however,
> I'm also unaware of anything that breaks.   I'd be curious to
> do a Fedora test release with relatime, but I know the answer I'll
> get when I recommend we add it to our generated fstabs..
>
> "If it's good enough, why isn't it the kernel default"
>
> Hence my current line of questioning ;-)

Okay, I have to admit I used the normal atime semantics, exactly once.
Someone hacked my laptop about 4 years ago (back when I didn't have a
firewall and a remotely exploitable samba server was on by default in
some Red Hat install).  I pulled the plug on the network (no wireless
either) and figured out which files the attacker read, which gave me
some peace of mind. :)

Personally, I'd trade that for the performance/battery life/etc. of
relatime.

-VAL