* EFI guest firmware for xen-ia64: where to put the sources ?
@ 2007-02-13 10:28 Tristan Gingold
From: Tristan Gingold @ 2007-02-13 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel; +Cc: Xen-ia64-devel

Hi,

until recently, the hvm guest firmware for xen-ia64 was a private binary
file owned and delivered by Intel.

I have written an open-source implementation based on tianocore.org.

The ia64 firmware is roughly speaking EFI.  I have also ported tianocore to
Qemu/x86.  It shouldn't be hard to port it to x86.

Because the sources are big (at least 40MB) and the buildery is not easy
(build tools are java-based), I don't think it should be included in the
Xen repository like the x86 firmware.

I'd propose to create a new mercurial tree.  Are there better ideas ?

Tristan.

* RE: EFI guest firmware for xen-ia64: where to put thesources ?
@ 2007-02-13 21:23 ` Ian Pratt
From: Ian Pratt @ 2007-02-13 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tristan Gingold, Xen-devel; +Cc: James Bulpin, Xen-ia64-devel

> until recently, the hvm guest firmware for xen-ia64 was a private
binary
> file owned and delivered by Intel.
>
> I have written an open-source implementation based on tianocore.org.
>
> The ia64 firmware is roughly speaking EFI.  I have also ported
tianocore to
> Qemu/x86.  It shouldn't be hard to port it to x86.
>
> Because the sources are big (at least 40MB) and the buildery is not
easy
> (build tools are java-based), I don't think it should be included in
the
> Xen repository like the x86 firmware.
>
> I'd propose to create a new mercurial tree.  Are there better ideas ?

That sounds like a decent solution. If you send an initial repo tar ball
and an ssh key we can get this up on xenbits. What would be a good repro
name? ia64-vfirmware.hg ?

Ian

* RE: EFI guest firmware for xen-ia64: where to put thesources ?
@ 2007-02-13 21:34   ` Alex Williamson
From: Alex Williamson @ 2007-02-13 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Pratt; +Cc: Tristan Gingold, James Bulpin, Xen-devel, Xen-ia64-devel

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 21:23 +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:

> That sounds like a decent solution. If you send an initial repo tar ball
> and an ssh key we can get this up on xenbits. What would be a good repro
> name? ia64-vfirmware.hg ?

   I think x86 might want this at some point too, so maybe
efi-vfirmware.hg or something.  Thanks,

	Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.