* Brian Downing [080207 07:32]: > On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 08:14:31PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote: > > This is really sad. gmane gives us a clean threaded interface > > (both in web and newsreader), and it never forgets. Whenever I > > need to refer somebody to an old discussion, I can give an URL > > to it and allmost all the discussion messages are there with a > > single paste and clicking around. It has been an indispensable > > service to me ever since I started reading the git list with it. > > It is really a shame that I have to prevent picking up patch > > messages from it with the above hook. > > > > I am wondering if other development communities had a similar > > issue already, and if so how they are dealing with it. > > Gmane didn't start doing this until recently. Maybe they can stop it on > a group-by-group basis? Every post to git@vger is archived elsewhere > with unmangled email addresses anyway... > > "We understand why you're doing this, but it hurts us greatly. Please > stop." Gmane has always done the "hide the real email" address on groups that request it. The git group does *not* request it, but the msysgit group *has* requested it. Note that I dont ahve any inner circle knowledge of gmane, but I have used it for ages, and watched the gmane discuss for as long. One of the "nice" things about gmane is that it follows thread/lines/etc across groups as the discussions move. They do this because the only store a single copy of the message (based on message-id), and link it to the groups (after all, it is a news store). But because of that single copy of a message, if the 1st group/list a message comes in for is set to hide the email addresses, I beleve the stored copy gets its addresses munged. If you look at the message Junio referenced, it hit gmane first from the msysgit list (@google), not the git list (@vger). So when the git@vger mail came in with the same message-id, it simply linked it to the already stored message Basically, we have to convince groups that are commonly "overlapping" git@vger on gmane not to choose hiding the emails. In this case, the msysgit group. a. -- Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god, aidan@highrise.ca command like a king, http://www.highrise.ca/ work like a slave.