* niu: ethtool -s support?
@ 2008-11-25 13:35 David Schweikert
From: David Schweikert @ 2008-11-25 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi,

It is apparently not possible to set the link parameters on a niu
interface (speed, duplex mode, auto-negotiation) with ethtool.
Is support for it planned?

Thanks
David

* Re: niu: ethtool -s support?
@ 2008-11-25 21:31 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2008-11-25 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david; +Cc: netdev

From: David Schweikert <david@schweikert.ch>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:35:30 +0100

> Hi,
>
> It is apparently not possible to set the link parameters on a niu
> interface (speed, duplex mode, auto-negotiation) with ethtool.
> Is support for it planned?

Yes, at some point, although that work is pretty low priority
to be honest.

* Re: niu: ethtool -s support?
@ 2008-11-26  9:50   ` David Schweikert
From: David Schweikert @ 2008-11-26  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 13:31:24 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> > It is apparently not possible to set the link parameters on a niu
> > interface (speed, duplex mode, auto-negotiation) with ethtool.
> > Is support for it planned?
>
> Yes, at some point, although that work is pretty low priority
> to be honest.

OK, thanks for the information. Would it be possible for the company I
work for, to somehow sponsor the development of this feature? Do you
know maybe a fellow developer that might be interested?

This feature is the prerequisite for us to be able to use the Sun 8x
Express Quad Gigabit Ethernet card.

Cheers
David

* niu: ethtool -s support -> implementation by contractor
@ 2008-12-15 16:12     ` David Schweikert
From: David Schweikert @ 2008-12-15 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev; +Cc: David Miller

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:50:21 +0100, David Schweikert wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 13:31:24 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> > > It is apparently not possible to set the link parameters on a niu
> > > interface (speed, duplex mode, auto-negotiation) with ethtool.
> > > Is support for it planned?
> >
> > Yes, at some point, although that work is pretty low priority
> > to be honest.
>
> OK, thanks for the information. Would it be possible for the company I
> work for, to somehow sponsor the development of this feature? Do you
> know maybe a fellow developer that might be interested?

We have found a company developing kernel drivers wanting to implement
this for us. Please let me know if you foresee any problem with that.

Should anything in particular be done in order for the future patch
to have good chances of being integrated in the main branch?

Cheers
David

* Re: niu: ethtool -s support -> implementation by contractor
@ 2008-12-15 20:11       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2008-12-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david; +Cc: netdev

From: David Schweikert <david@schweikert.ch>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:12:15 +0100

> Should anything in particular be done in order for the future patch
> to have good chances of being integrated in the main branch?

Follow "linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches" and adhere to
the existing coding style in the driver and you should be
fine.