* [Xenomai-help] Xenomai-Comedi: How to?
       [not found] <38108.155.253.35.73.1229336092.squirrel@domain.hid>
@ 2008-12-15 11:42 ` Nicola Pedrocchi
From: Nicola Pedrocchi @ 2008-12-15 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai; +Cc: matteo.danesi, diego.parazzoli

Hi,

let me introduce, I am Nicola Pedrocchi, a researcher from the Institute
> of Industrial Technology and Automation of the National Research Council
> of Italy.
> I have to develop a real-time acquisition from an anologic sensor using a
> NI board and I wish to use Linux-Xenomai as RTOS and Comedi as driver.
>
> However,  I have not very well understood the organization of the project
> xenomai-comedi (sorry!! I am really new in using Linux-Xenomai :( )
>
> My doubts are:
> 1) What I need :) ???
> ...If I have understood correctly, I must use a stable version of Xenomai,
> download comedi-rdtm-dev from the xenomai repository and compile it, is it
> correct? (I tried, but I have some problems in building phase concerning
> undefined reference in the modules linkage...I will post them in a next
> mail in the case it is the correct road) Or I have to compile the
> xenomai-trunk where comedi files there are already? Or I have to compile
> the originary comedi files obtained from www.comedi.org?
>
> 2) looking for national instruments drivers, I found them in
> comedi-rtdm-dev, however I read the threads of the mailing list and in my
> understanding, they are experimental and not tested yet, is it correct?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!!!
> Have a good time!
> bye
> nicola

> Eng. Nicola Pedrocchi, PhD
> phone : +39  02 23699982
> mobile: +39 328  9159914
> mail  : nicola.pedrocchi@domain.hid
> mail  : nicola.pedrocchi@domain.hid
> mail  : nicolapedrocchi@domain.hid
> web   : http://robotics.ing.unibs.it
>                       Thak you for correcting me!

Eng. Nicola Pedrocchi, PhD
phone : +39  02 23699982
mobile: +39 328  9159914
mail  : nicola.pedrocchi@domain.hid
mail  : nicola.pedrocchi@domain.hid
mail  : nicolapedrocchi@domain.hid
web   : http://robotics.ing.unibs.it
                      Thak you for correcting me!

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Xenomai-Comedi: How to?
@ 2008-12-17  0:11   ` Alexis Berlemont
From: Alexis Berlemont @ 2008-12-17  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

> let me introduce, I am Nicola Pedrocchi, a researcher from the Institute
>
> > of Industrial Technology and Automation of the National Research Council
> > of Italy.
> > I have to develop a real-time acquisition from an anologic sensor using a
> > NI board and I wish to use Linux-Xenomai as RTOS and Comedi as driver.
> >
> > However,  I have not very well understood the organization of the project
> > xenomai-comedi (sorry!! I am really new in using Linux-Xenomai :( )
> >
> > My doubts are:
> > 1) What I need :) ???
> > ...If I have understood correctly, I must use a stable version of
> > Xenomai, download comedi-rdtm-dev from the xenomai repository and compile
> > it, is it correct? (I tried, but I have some problems in building phase
> > concerning undefined reference in the modules linkage...I will post them
> > in a next mail in the case it is the correct road) Or I have to compile
> > the xenomai-trunk where comedi files there are already? Or I have to
> > compile the originary comedi files obtained from www.comedi.org?

You have to compile the xenomai trunk for now.

> > 2) looking for national instruments drivers, I found them in
> > comedi-rtdm-dev, however I read the threads of the mailing list and in my
> > understanding, they are experimental and not tested yet, is it correct?

Yes. I have on my TODO list, the delivery of a beta version of the ni_pcimio
driver into the xenomai trunk. This driver will match the features range
provided by the legacy version (www.comedi.org).

However, you should not use the comedi-rtdm-dev version, that was just a POC
for the modified Comedi API.

The trunk version will be available soon.

Best regards.

Alexis.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Xenomai-Comedi: How to?
@ 2008-12-19 15:10     ` Nicola Pedrocchi
From: Nicola Pedrocchi @ 2008-12-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai, Alexis Berlemont; +Cc: matteo.danesi, diego.parazzoli

Thak you very much Alexis,

 I have compiled the trunk as you say and everithing seems ok.

In order to test comedi I was used to associate a driver to a device with
the command
# comedi_config <devicefilenae> <driver>

When I try to execute this command the output is:
"Xenomai: incompatible ABI revision level (neede=1, current = 2)".
... is it correct?

What I have to do to test Comedi?
What are the step I have to do in order to test the NI board I have
available?
....I read the API documentation in
http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/trunk/html/api/index.html however I
am in lack of the correct logic to write a simple program to test my
experimental set-up.

Should you/someone help me posting a very simple "hello world" program to
test the basic functionalities of xenomai-comedi?

Thanks in advance!!!
Have a good weekend
best regards,
Nicola

> Hi,
>>
>> let me introduce, I am Nicola Pedrocchi, a researcher from the Institute
>>
>> > of Industrial Technology and Automation of the National Research
>> Council
>> > of Italy.
>> > I have to develop a real-time acquisition from an anologic sensor
>> using a
>> > NI board and I wish to use Linux-Xenomai as RTOS and Comedi as driver.
>> >
>> > However,  I have not very well understood the organization of the
>> project
>> > xenomai-comedi (sorry!! I am really new in using Linux-Xenomai :( )
>> >
>> > My doubts are:
>> > 1) What I need :) ???
>> > ...If I have understood correctly, I must use a stable version of
>> > Xenomai, download comedi-rdtm-dev from the xenomai repository and
>> compile
>> > it, is it correct? (I tried, but I have some problems in building
>> phase
>> > concerning undefined reference in the modules linkage...I will post
>> them
>> > in a next mail in the case it is the correct road) Or I have to
>> compile
>> > the xenomai-trunk where comedi files there are already? Or I have to
>> > compile the originary comedi files obtained from www.comedi.org?
>
> You have to compile the xenomai trunk for now.
>
>> > 2) looking for national instruments drivers, I found them in
>> > comedi-rtdm-dev, however I read the threads of the mailing list and in
>> my
>> > understanding, they are experimental and not tested yet, is it
>> correct?
>
> Yes. I have on my TODO list, the delivery of a beta version of the
> ni_pcimio
> driver into the xenomai trunk. This driver will match the features range
> provided by the legacy version (www.comedi.org).
>
> However, you should not use the comedi-rtdm-dev version, that was just a
> POC
> for the modified Comedi API.
>
> The trunk version will be available soon.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Alexis.

Eng. Nicola Pedrocchi, PhD
phone : +39  02 23699978