From: Jeff King <peff@peff.net>
To: Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de>
Cc: Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>, git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2008, #03; Sun, 21)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:34:40 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 05:52:54PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> However, note that without something like core.notesref you will never be
> able to have private and public notes.
>
> And I very much want to have private notes _and_ public notes on the very
> same commits of the very same branches.

Right. I think core.notesref doesn't go far enough, because it doesn't
provide a way to talk about notes from two sources at the same time.
Like:

  git log --pretty=format:'%N(my-private-notes:foo) %N(public-notes:bar)'

> I just wanted to fiddle a little bit with profiling, as I really do not
> understand why the new notes perform that badly against the old notes,
> even allowing for reading a complete, possibly huge tree into a hashmap.

I haven't looked closely at the latest series yet, so I can't comment.

> And while I am almost sure that there is a stupid bug lurking that will
> kick the performance again, I think the basic design is sound, and it
> should be easy to modify no matter which way you want to change the
> behavior with regards to trees/blobs or refs.

I agree that the data structure is sound, so I can probably work on top
of what you posted, too. I was planning on doing git-notes in C, though.

-Peff