On Wednesday 04 March 2009, you wrote: > The kernel displays a scary warning, I can guess that it is almost surely > associated with some loss of network connectivity for a few seconds at the > very least but it is a bit hard to figure the real scale of your problem. I'll try to be more precise :) I can readily reproduce the symptoms by initiating the scp transfer of a large file. The transfer will stall somewhere between ~2MB and ~50MB of data transferred. After that, the results differ for the two network cards: With the r8169 card, the transfer never recovers, but after ~1min to ~2min, there is a "link up" message in dmesg and the network will be back up. With the 8139too card, the stall will be no longer than ~30sec and the transfer will resume. There is also a "link up" message upon the network's resurrection. I have been able to verify that this problem does _not_ occur when using the same network (and target server) through my wireless USB adapter. The average speed this way is lower, however - ~690kb/s as opposed to ~1.8MB/s over the wire (the reason this is so much lower than the physical limit for both types of connections probably lies in the fact that we're dealing with a pentium2 that has to do ssl encryption on the fly). The two dmesg files I have attached contain the log of the following actions: 1. Booting with the respective card inserted 2. Initializing the file transfer 3. Abort the transfer after it's been dead for ~10sec 4. Wait for the network to come back up The two attached lspci outputs were recorded with the two cards inserted respectively. > Can you identify a kernel which worked flawlessly ? I'm quite sure I did not experience this problem with the last kernel I ran, which was 2.6.25.15. Hope to help! Michael -- I came for the quality, but I stayed for the freedom. - Sean Neakums