From: Al Viro <viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk>
To: Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Paul Mundt <lethal@linux-sh.org>,
	linux-kbuild <linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com>, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	jdike@addtoit.com
Subject: Re: [GIT] kbuild
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:15:38 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 06:45:51AM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> For kernel proper the use of -idirafter would be confusing.
> But for um alone we should be safe provided it is properly commented.

Less than for all um - it's only for USER_OBJ there.  It is special,
simply because for uml the counterpart of really low-level glue has
to talk to libc.  So there we have separation into "normal kernel source"
and "userland code that uses userland headers, calls libc functions, etc."

> I have already fixed um the obvious way for asm-offsets in my local tree.
> But if you prefer I can add a -dirafter based patch before the "move
> asm-offsets.h to incldue/generated" patch.

I've dumped several header cleanup patches for uml into
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/um-header.git/
including the -idirafter, move of user_constants.h, etc.
Another fun thing: user.h used to be included directly by just about
every userland-side file.  Switched it to -include user.h (for USER_CFLAGS,
of course - not for normal stuff), killed includes, got rid of shitloads
of kern_constants.h includes at the same time.  At which point getting
rid of kern_constants.h became trivial.

Up to Jeff's approval, obviously - *including* -idirafter patch.