All of lore.kernel.org
From: Lance Tagliapietra <lancetag@Luminet.net>
To: linux-m68k@vger.kernel.org
Subject: eliminate -pipe from kernel compile
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:58:33 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello,

I was noticing that kernel compiling is set up to have gcc pipe data from one pass to another, instead of using
temporary files.  On a memory constrained environment, this may not be the best idea (or at least I'd like to
explore that idea).  Instead of loading the assember, and having immediately being swapped out while the cc1 pass
runs, it may make more sense to have the temp files being written, instead of the swap in and out, when compiling
the various objects of the kernel.

So, simply pulling out the -pipe from the compiler flag list didn't see to have the desired effect.  I'm afraid I'm
still missing something.  I'm still observing the assembler being loaded.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

--Lance