From: Alf <alf@mypals.org>
To: Nick Kossifidis <mickflemm@gmail.com>
Cc: Bob Copeland <me@bobcopeland.com>,
	Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho <tuliom@quites.com.br>,
	Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net>,
	linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ath5k in 2.6.29.1 won't associate with AP
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:29:14 -0600	[thread overview]

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 07:36:04 am Nick Kossifidis wrote:
> Hmm, do you use a driver from your vendor (the inf files etc from CD)
> or a generic one from the net ?

I downloaded them from DLink's website.  They have two versions, I used the
older one.  The most recent didn't work.

> It's possible that your vendor uses hardcoded settings on the driver
> instead of EEPROM settings so tx power wont work as expected and
> that's why you can't connect on the AP. Both ath5k and MadWiFi try to
> use EEPROM settings, they don't use any hardcoded settings (not even
> default values in case of a corrupted EEPROM -we should fix that in
> the future).

That's one possible explanation.  I can send you the driver I'm using
through ndiswrapper to test your hypothesis.  You can also send me a patch
that would set the power level to a hardcoded value instead of the EEPROM to
test it as well.  Just let me know how I can be of help in finding and
fixing the problem.

--
Alf
@