also sprach Jesse Brandeburg [2009.09.01.0026 +0200]: > I misspoke w.r.t journalling, the idea I was trying to get across > was to remount with -o sync while running on a degraded array, but > given some of the other comments in this thread I'm not even sure > that would help. the idea was to make writes as safe as possible > (at the cost of speed) when running on a degraded array, and to > have the transition be as hands-free as possible, just have the > kernel (or mdadm) by default remount. I don't see how that is any more necessary with a degraded array than it is when you have a fully working array. Sync just ensures that the data are written and not cached, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the underlying storage. Or am I failing to see the link? -- .''`. martin f. krafft Related projects: : :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info `. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org `- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing systems "how do you feel about women's rights?" "i like either side of them." -- groucho marx