From: Holger Schurig <hs4233@mail.mn-solutions.de>
To: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-wireless <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>,
	reinette chatre <reinette.chatre@intel.com>,
	Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@nokia.com>,
	Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net>,
	Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@web.de>,
	Bob Copeland <me@bobcopeland.com>
Subject: Re: Firmware versioning best practices
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:59:24 +0200	[thread overview]

> Or shall we have the same firmware filename and simply query
> the firmware for a map of capabilities? Any other ideas?

Don't put the version into the filename. This is not a common
practice for Linux / BSD / whatever systems. Usually you have
a "kmail" file, not a kmail3.5, kmail4.0 and kmail4.2 file.

Versions or capability maps can be stored inside the firmware and
queried at load time. E.g. the libertas driver does it that way.

If you make your firmware redistributable (which I recommend),
the version will also be stored in the package metadata, e.g.
the rpm or deb file and the infrastructure for rpm/yum deb/apt.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de