Okay, finally had some time to dismantle the machine in question and inserted the backup drive without the enclosure. Now that I was able to get smartctl to give me information on what was going on, it seems there's nothing wrong with the drive itself (no remapped sectors, nothing prefail or fail going wrong, drive's smart status is good) but it's had a history of 406 (!!!) errors reported, the last five happening within the same second, all of which seem (to my untrained eye) to imply a bad IDE cable. Which means likely my USB enclosure is screwing up. To be sure, I did some extended testing with it hooked up: Tried doing a full and incremental backup of my machine with no errors reported, as well as an offline and then immediately afterwards, long test via smartctl. Nothing changed in the output. I've attached the output of smartctl at various points in the tests: the first being the initial immediate display of information at startup, the second just after the long test, and the third just after the two backups (Full and incremental) were tried. Nothing seems to shout at me in the output, I'm frankly pretty sure something's wrong with the enclosure. If it's the drive, it's not showing up here at least. I'd like your thoughts and suggestions on this. While I'm pretty sure I know what the smartctl output means, I'm always capable of being entirely wrong. Please let me know if I've misinterpreted the information. Timothy McGrath