hey sven, On 17/02/2010 Selim Levy wrote: > The cause: > During the CD installation of debian, the debian installer associates the > external hard drive to /dev/sdb. However, following the installation, when > I boot *from* the external hard drive, the system associates it with > /dev/sda. So essentially, I'm installing linux (and dm-crypt and everything > else) to /dev/sdb, though it will then be called /dev/sda when I boot from > it. > > The question: > I've already made the necessary changes to GRUB and the /boot partition is > booting properly -- I can get a busybox prompt -- but I'm unable to continue > booting into the root partition. Where are the files on /boot located that > must be changed in order for the boot partition to properly deal with the > dm-crypt encrypted LVM volume group? I have already found the > conf/conf.d/cryptroot file within my initrd image and have modified both > lines in it. (One line is for the root partition, the other for swap.) > I've modified the 'target=' and the 'source=' entries (on both llines) to > show 'sda3' as opposed to the original 'sdb3'. What else must be changed? you need to change both /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab on the rescue system, and maybe even /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume. afterwards you'll have to regenerate the initramfs image. the best way to do so is to: - unlock and mount the rootfs of your rescue system to /mnt/rescue - copy /proc/modules, /proc/cmdline and /proc/devices to /mnt/rescue/proc - bind-mount /dev to /mnt/rescue/dev: 'mount -o bind /dev /mnt/rescue/dev' - chroot into /mnt/rescue/dev - modify /proc/cmdline, /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab - run 'update-initramfs -u' this is written down from memory, i hope that i didn't forget anything. greetings, jonas