On Wed, Mar 03 2010, John Hughes wrote: > Jens Axboe wrote: >> Is IO still going on, or does it appear to be stuck? From the traces >> below, we have various procs caught in waiting for a request. So if >> things are totally stuck, it could be some race in there. >> > I see I/O happening on three or four of the disks. > > Just a thought. What exactly is sync(2) supposed to do - block until > there are no more dirty pages, or block until all pages that were dirty > when the sync was done are clean? In other words is the problem simply > that pages are being dirtied faster than the sync is writing them out? Our sync is currently broken in that regard, since it'll wait for too long. We have a debated patch going, I have included it below. Any chance you could give it a whirl? The semantics of sync are supposed to be 'wait for dirty IO generated BEFORE this sync call'. -- Jens Axboe