On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 05:27:34PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote: > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:09:56 +0200, Wolfram Sang wrote: > > Hi Jean, > > > > > Sorry for being a little quiet, I took a long, well-deserved week-end > > > off and didn't have the time to reply before I left. Now I'm back... > > > > No worries, no rush :) > > > > > Yes, my intent was to add a call to i2c_set_clientdata(x, NULL) in > > > i2c_device_remove(). We would do this immediately, so that drivers can > > > start removing the call on their end quickly (and new ones are not > > > added.) > > > > > > Can you please send the patch for i2c-core and Documentation/i2c? It's > > > not difficult but I don't want to steal your credits. > > > > Yes, can do this in a few hours (already midnight here), this is for 2.6.34 > > then. > > > > > It would also be fair to warn all the developers you already contacted > > > with your first attempt and let them know that it is being cancelled, > > > and let them know the new plan. Hopefully this will avoid useless > > > commits. > > > > Can do this, too. About the removal of the i2c_set_clientdata-calls: > > > > - shall I prepare a series for that, too? > > Not sure what you mean there... What's the alternative? I was confused by your "so that drivers can start removing the call on their end quickly". It sounded a bit like they should care themselves. > > - also for 2.6.34? > > No, 2.6.35. This touches too many drivers for 2.6.34 at this point in > time. I agree. So I base the removal-patch on rc3, so it can go to linux-next. If there are other users of i2c_set_clientdata popping up until the merge-window, it will be handled by an incremental patch. > > - also patches per subsystem? > > Not sure if it's worth the effort. Not much effort, I made scripts for that :) Still, I think it should go in just using one commit. Let's hope it won't get too intrusive (= creating conflicts). > > - shall this better go via the i2c-tree? > > This seems simpler, yes. I don't think subsystem or driver maintainers > need to be bothered with what is really only a cleanup. Yes. Regards, Wolfram -- Pengutronix e.K. | Wolfram Sang | Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |