* Re: vt-d p7p55d evo
       [not found] <4BB6B79D.3070305@triad.rr.com>
@ 2010-04-03 22:46 ` Mark Hurenkamp
From: Mark Hurenkamp @ 2010-04-03 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi,

> I'm not a subscriber to xen-devel yet, but did see your post about
> the evo and iommu not working.   Within the last week I have
> installed a xen 4.0rc8 and xen/stable clone kernel 2.6.32.10 and
> boot ok with iommu=1 and have also successfully passed through a tv
> tuner card tonight which modules did load for.  I did have one weird
> quirk though.  I haven't tested the card in the domu yet.  Anyway if
> you want to discuss this further then reply back.

Are you sure you are using VT-d here (are you using hvm loader)? I'd
be very interested to know what Bios version you are using, what your
'xm dmesg' and 'xm info' output is (after boot), and the xen
configuration file for your VM.
Cause although my system can boot fine with enabled iommu now, it is
simply switched off by xen at boottime... Did you do something special
to force it to on? Do you have any patches installed?
Btw, passthrough of a tuner device to a pvm domU is not a problem
here, but that does not require VT-d (nor VT-x).
Did you manage to passthrough a device to Windows?
My ultimate goal is to passthrough a (secondary) usb card, and a
(secondary) graphics card, to a Windows hvm.

Mark.

* Re: vt-d p7p55d evo
@ 2010-04-04  6:14   ` listmail
From: listmail @ 2010-04-04  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hurenkamp; +Cc: xen-devel

Mark Hurenkamp wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> I'm not a subscriber to xen-devel yet, but did see your post about
>> the evo and iommu not working.   Within the last week I have
>> installed a xen 4.0rc8 and xen/stable clone kernel 2.6.32.10 and boot
>> ok with iommu=1 and have also successfully passed through a tv tuner
>> card tonight which modules did load for.  I did have one weird quirk
>> though.  I haven't tested the card in the domu yet.  Anyway if you
>> want to discuss this further then reply back.
>
> Are you sure you are using VT-d here (are you using hvm loader)? I'd
> be very interested to know what Bios version you are using, what your
> 'xm dmesg' and 'xm info' output is (after boot), and the xen
> configuration file for your VM.
> Cause although my system can boot fine with enabled iommu now, it is
> simply switched off by xen at boottime... Did you do something special
> to force it to on? Do you have any patches installed?
> Btw, passthrough of a tuner device to a pvm domU is not a problem
> here, but that does not require VT-d (nor VT-x).
> Did you manage to passthrough a device to Windows?
> My ultimate goal is to passthrough a (secondary) usb card, and a
> (secondary) graphics card, to a Windows hvm.
>

> Mark.

I'm still pretty new to Xen so it could very well be that I've
misunderstood the requirements for certain capabilities.   I thought one
of the wiki's had stated that to pass through to an hvm guest you have
to have VT-d though.   Is there something specific that I which can
indicate its status after boot?

bios: 1207
cpu: i7 860
grub2: http://pastebin.ca/1856369
xm dmesg: http://pastebin.ca/1856370
xm info: http://pastebin.ca/1856372
hvm cfg: http://pastebin.ca/1856376
I think I compiled the linux kernel at xen/stable git commit 221c4dbf86
given the timestamp in xm info (all done same time frame)

* Re: vt-d p7p55d evo
@ 2010-04-04 11:28     ` Mark Hurenkamp
From: Mark Hurenkamp @ 2010-04-04 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: xen-devel

> I'm still pretty new to Xen so it could very well be that I've
> misunderstood the requirements for certain capabilities.   I thought
> one of the wiki's had stated that to pass through to an hvm guest
> you have to have VT-d though.   Is there something specific that I
> which can indicate its status after boot?
>
> bios: 1207
> cpu: i7 860
> grub2: http://pastebin.ca/1856369
> xm dmesg: http://pastebin.ca/1856370
> xm info: http://pastebin.ca/1856372
> hvm cfg: http://pastebin.ca/1856376
> I think I compiled the linux kernel at xen/stable git commit
> 221c4dbf86 given the timestamp in xm info (all done same time frame)

 From your earlier mail, it was not clear wether you were indeed using
hvm, and that xen enabled vt-d properly.
 From your xm dmesg, and xm info, it is clear that iommu is indeed
enabled for you, something which i've not been able to achieve with my
board.
Could the CPU make a difference here? I'm on a i5 750, and notice you
are using an i7 860....

I'll see if i can do some more experiments with my setup, perhaps
switching back a few changesets to 4.0-rc8.
I'm not sure if the kernel makes a difference, but i'll see if i can
match your configuration as close as possible.

Thanks for your input!

Mark.

* Re: vt-d p7p55d evo
@ 2010-04-04 14:33       ` listmail
From: listmail @ 2010-04-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hurenkamp; +Cc: xen-devel

Mark Hurenkamp wrote:
>> I'm still pretty new to Xen so it could very well be that I've
>> misunderstood the requirements for certain capabilities.   I thought
>> one of the wiki's had stated that to pass through to an hvm guest you
>> have to have VT-d though.   Is there something specific that I which
>> can indicate its status after boot?
>>
>> bios: 1207
>> cpu: i7 860
>> grub2: http://pastebin.ca/1856369
>> xm dmesg: http://pastebin.ca/1856370
>> xm info: http://pastebin.ca/1856372
>> hvm cfg: http://pastebin.ca/1856376
>> I think I compiled the linux kernel at xen/stable git commit
>> 221c4dbf86 given the timestamp in xm info (all done same time frame)
>
> From your earlier mail, it was not clear wether you were indeed using
> hvm, and that xen enabled vt-d properly.
> From your xm dmesg, and xm info, it is clear that iommu is indeed
> enabled for you, something which i've not been able to achieve with my
> board.
> Could the CPU make a difference here? I'm on a i5 750, and notice you
> are using an i7 860....
>
> I'll see if i can do some more experiments with my setup, perhaps
> switching back a few changesets to 4.0-rc8.
> I'm not sure if the kernel makes a difference, but i'll see if i can
> match your configuration as close as possible.
>
> Thanks for your input!
>

> Mark.

according to this chart (and thread) the i5 doesn't support VT-d,
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/i5_chart.png
link source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274342-28-tomshardware

* Re: vt-d p7p55d evo
@ 2010-04-04 18:26         ` Mark Hurenkamp
From: Mark Hurenkamp @ 2010-04-04 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: xen-devel

> according to this chart (and thread) the i5 doesn't support VT-d, http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/i5_chart.png
> link source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274342-28-tomshardware

Ok... i didn't know that... it would surely explain why I can't get VT-
d to work on my system...
I guess i'll have to upgrade the CPU then, anyone interested in a used
i5 750 ;-)

Mark.

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo
@ 2010-04-05 21:24       ` Sander Eikelenboom
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2010-04-05 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hurenkamp; +Cc: xen-devel, listmail

Hi Mark,

I guess that's your problem, your cpu doesn't seem to support VT-D, see
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42915

Both CPU, chipset and bios most support it ...

--
Sander

--
Best regards,
 Sander                            mailto:linux@eikelenboom.it

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo
@ 2010-04-08 23:57         ` Mark Hurenkamp
From: Mark Hurenkamp @ 2010-04-08 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Sander Eikelenboom, listmail

Hi,

I replaced the i5 with an i7 CPU, and now xen seems to enable vtd properly,
i have yet  to test the feature with my board, but xm info now shows the
hvm_directio flag:
host                   : coruscant
release                : 2.6.32.11mh18
version                : #10 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 7 23:57:39 CEST 2010
machine                : x86_64
nr_cpus                : 8
nr_nodes               : 1
cores_per_socket       : 4
threads_per_core       : 2
cpu_mhz                : 3660
hw_caps                :
bfebfbff:28100800:00000000:00001b40:0098e3fd:00000000:00000001:00000000
virt_caps              : hvm hvm_directio
total_memory           : 7975
free_memory            : 2425
node_to_cpu            : node0:0-7
node_to_memory         : node0:2425
node_to_dma32_mem      : node0:1310
max_node_id            : 0
xen_major              : 4
xen_minor              : 0
xen_extra              : .0
xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32
hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
xen_scheduler          : credit
xen_pagesize           : 4096
platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
xen_changeset          : Wed Apr 07 12:38:28 2010 +0100 21091:f28f1ee587c8
xen_commandline        : console_to_ring com1=115200,8n1 console=com1
cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.4.1 (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9)
cc_compile_by          : root
cc_compile_domain      : karpeer.net
cc_compile_date        : Wed Apr  7 23:16:01 CEST 2010
xend_config_format     : 4

Regards,
Mark.

On Monday 05 April 2010 11:24:36 pm Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I guess that's your problem, your cpu doesn't seem to support VT-D, see
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42915
>
> Both CPU, chipset and bios most support it ...
>
> --
> Sander

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-11  1:30           ` Mark Hurenkamp
From: Mark Hurenkamp @ 2010-04-11  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hurenkamp; +Cc: Sander Eikelenboom, xen-devel, listmail

Hi,

The last few days i played some more with the vt-d feature enabled on
my system,
I'm now able to passthrough an usb controller to a windows xp hvm.
When i plug
a usb drive into a slot controlled by that controller, windows behaves
as expected.
Passing through a hda-intel device (from my graphics card) seems to at
least be
recognised properly by windows, and windows is able to install the
driver (can't
verify that it is actually playing audio, since the graphics card
itself can't be passed
through yet, and thus the connected monitor is in standby).
So as far as i can tell, vt-d is working fine now on this system.

Passthrough of the secondary graphics card to windows, doesn't seem to
work
(well, i guess that's to be expected at this stage, since i've only
tried passing
it through as a normal pci card, and i think it needs an extra flag
set in the config
and some patches in xen, as well as passing along a bios file).
Strange thing i noticed though, when i try to boot windows with the
secondary graphics
card listed in its pci section, my primary X session will reset, and
i'm presented the gdm
login screen... (primary & secondary graphics card are both hd4350).
Another strange thing i noticed, is that when i kill windows using xm
shutdown (since
it won't boot with the graphics card listed), i am not able to start
it again later, not even
after removing the pci devices from the config.
Only after a machine reboot, things will work normal again.

Next on my list: try passthrough of the primary graphics card...

Regards,
Mark

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-11  2:02             ` listmail
From: listmail @ 2010-04-11  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hurenkamp; +Cc: Sander Eikelenboom, xen-devel

I had no problems passing through my Nvidia 8800gts 512.  The nv driver
on linux works fine (as good as it can).  There were a few quirks to
note, but I imagine your experience will vary using ATI.

- It takes a bit before you see VGA output
- The cursor was positioned a higher than normal (sitting at over the
halfway mark for the font)
- Shutdown of Xorg can leave you with a blank console
- Shutdown then Restart of domU without restarting dom0 may lead to no
VGA output, however you can still ssh in and startx (Xorg) and it will
produce output

This is my specific dom0 grub2 entry for VGA passthrough

menuentry "Xen 4.0.0-rc8 / Ubuntu 10.4 kernel 2.6.32.10-xen2 pvops IOMMU
SERIAL" {
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 321dedfa-be48-4b4d-bff0-0e5ecce240fd
multiboot /boot/xen-4.0.0-rc8.gz dummy=dummy iommu=1 dom0_mem=1024M
com1=19200,8n1,0xe480,17 console=com1
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.10-xen2 dummy=dummy root=/dev/sdc2 ro
xen-pciback.permissive xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(00:1a.0)(00:1d.0)
console=hvc0
module /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32.10-xen2
}

A couple of those addresses are the usb controllers so I make use of
mouse and keyboard.  I never could get qemu passthrough to work.  Epic
fail on trying to use the nvidia drivers =)  The new version tells you
specifically that it does not support the card @ PCI xxxx

All I needed in the hvm config was:

gfx_passthru=1
pci=['01:00.0','00:1a.0','00:1d.0']

I can't think of anything else right now :)

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-11 11:18               ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-04-11 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: Sander Eikelenboom, xen-devel, Mark Hurenkamp

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:02:13PM -0400, listmail wrote:
> I had no problems passing through my Nvidia 8800gts 512.  The nv driver
> on linux works fine (as good as it can).  There were a few quirks to
> note, but I imagine your experience will vary using ATI.

Was this primary or secondary adapter?

-- Pasi

> [...]
>>> node_to_cpu            : node0:0-7
>>> node_to_memory         : node0:2425
>>> node_to_dma32_mem      : node0:1310
>>> max_node_id            : 0
>>> xen_major              : 4
>>> xen_minor              : 0
>>> xen_extra              : .0
>>> xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32
>>> hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
>>> xen_scheduler          : credit
>>> xen_pagesize           : 4096
>>> platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
>>> xen_changeset          : Wed Apr 07 12:38:28 2010 +0100
>>> 21091:f28f1ee587c8
>>> xen_commandline        : console_to_ring com1=115200,8n1 console=com1
>>> cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.4.1 (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9)
>>> cc_compile_by          : root
>>> cc_compile_domain      : karpeer.net
>>> cc_compile_date        : Wed Apr  7 23:16:01 CEST 2010

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-11 13:50                 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-04-11 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: Sander Eikelenboom, xen-devel, Mark Hurenkamp

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:18:45PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:02:13PM -0400, listmail wrote:
> > I had no problems passing through my Nvidia 8800gts 512.  The nv driver
> > on linux works fine (as good as it can).  There were a few quirks to
> > note, but I imagine your experience will vary using ATI.
> >

> Was this primary or secondary adapter?

Also please refresh the XenVGAPassthrough wiki page and send all
the information asked there.. so I can add your entry there.

Thanks!

-- Pasi

> > - It takes a bit before you see VGA output
> > - The cursor was positioned a higher than normal (sitting at over the
> > halfway mark for the font)
> > - Shutdown of Xorg can leave you with a blank console
> > - Shutdown then Restart of domU without restarting dom0 may lead to no
> > VGA output, however you can still ssh in and startx (Xorg) and it will
> > produce output
> >

> > This is my specific dom0 grub2 entry for VGA passthrough
> >
> > menuentry "Xen 4.0.0-rc8 / Ubuntu 10.4 kernel 2.6.32.10-xen2 pvops IOMMU
> > SERIAL" {
> > insmod ext2
> > search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 321dedfa-be48-4b4d-bff0-0e5ecce240fd
> > multiboot /boot/xen-4.0.0-rc8.gz dummy=dummy iommu=1 dom0_mem=1024M
> > com1=19200,8n1,0xe480,17 console=com1
> > module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.10-xen2 dummy=dummy root=/dev/sdc2 ro
> > xen-pciback.permissive xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(00:1a.0)(00:1d.0)
> > console=hvc0
> > module /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32.10-xen2
> > }
> >

> > A couple of those addresses are the usb controllers so I make use of
> > mouse and keyboard.  I never could get qemu passthrough to work.  Epic
> > fail on trying to use the nvidia drivers =)  The new version tells you
> > specifically that it does not support the card @ PCI xxxx
> >
> > All I needed in the hvm config was:
> >
> > gfx_passthru=1
> > pci=['01:00.0','00:1a.0','00:1d.0']
> >

> > I can't think of anything else right now :)
> >

> > Mark Hurenkamp wrote:
> >> Next on my list: try passthrough of the primary graphics card...
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Mark

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-11 18:50                   ` listmail
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: listmail @ 2010-04-11 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

- Xen version
4.0-rc8

- Dom0 kernel version, and if it's pvops or xenlinux based / Guest OS
and driver version
same kernel for both, via git clone of xen/stable-2.6.32 @ commit
062aaac18de6d875fcc646359179449218f486c5
packaged for install via debian's make-kpkg
used the .config attached here:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-03/msg00878.html

-- "lspci" output for the graphics card to get the PCI IDs and model
information
dom0 lspci -vv
<snip>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 8800
GTS 512] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Device 2332
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
    Region 0: Memory at f2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Region 1: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Region 3: Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
    Region 5: I/O ports at cc00 [size=128]
    Expansion ROM at f3ee0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
    Capabilities: [68] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
    Capabilities: [78] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
        DevCap:    MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<512ns, L1 <4us
            ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
        DevCtl:    Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
            RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
            MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
        DevSta:    CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr-
TransPend-
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Latency
L0 <256ns, L1 <1us
            ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
        LnkCtl:    ASPM Disabled; RCB 128 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
            ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
        LnkSta:    Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
    Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
    Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information <?>
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb
<snip>

- Did you passthru all the PCI IDs or just one?
I'm only aware of one ID -> xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)

- Was it primary or secondary graphics adapter?
primary

- Motherboard vendor/model and BIOS version/CPU version
Asus P7P55D Evo
bios 1207 (old)
core i7 860

- How did it work.. did you have some issues?
the nv driver on linux works fine (as good as it can)
it takes a bit before you see VGA output on boot
the console cursor was positioned higher than normal (sitting at over

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:18:45PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:02:13PM -0400, listmail wrote:
>>
>>> I had no problems passing through my Nvidia 8800gts 512.  The nv driver
>>> on linux works fine (as good as it can).  There were a few quirks to
>>> note, but I imagine your experience will vary using ATI.
>>>

>> Was this primary or secondary adapter?
>>

> Also please refresh the XenVGAPassthrough wiki page and send all
> the information asked there.. so I can add your entry there.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Pasi

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-11 18:53                 ` listmail
From: listmail @ 2010-04-11 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

Were the patches for secondary passthrough applied to xen-unstable?  Are
they available so as to be applied manually to xen-unstable tip?

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:02:13PM -0400, listmail wrote:
>
>> I had no problems passing through my Nvidia 8800gts 512.  The nv driver
>> on linux works fine (as good as it can).  There were a few quirks to
>> note, but I imagine your experience will vary using ATI.
>>

> Was this primary or secondary adapter?
>
> -- Pasi

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-12  6:55                     ` Dietmar Hahn
From: Dietmar Hahn @ 2010-04-12  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: listmail

Please see my comments inside.

Am 11.04.2010 schrieb listmail:
> [...]
>             ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
>         LnkSta:    Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
> DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
>     Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
>     Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
>     Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information <?>
>     Kernel modules: nvidiafb
> <snip>
>
> - Did you passthru all the PCI IDs or just one?
> I'm only aware of one ID -> xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)
>
> - Was it primary or secondary graphics adapter?
> primary
>
> - Motherboard vendor/model and BIOS version/CPU version
> Asus P7P55D Evo
> bios 1207 (old)
> core i7 860
>
> - How did it work.. did you have some issues?
> the nv driver on linux works fine (as good as it can)
> it takes a bit before you see VGA output on boot

Did you see any boot messages of the BIOS / grub
on the console device (with this gfx adapter) before the linux
kernel boot messages and the X11 screen?

> the console cursor was positioned higher than normal (sitting at over
> the halfway mark for the font)
> shutdown of Xorg can leave you with a blank console
> shutdown then Restart of domU without restarting dom0 may lead to no VGA
> output, however you can still ssh in and startx (Xorg) and it will
> produce output

This is the same behavior as on my laptop where the copied VGA-BIOS not
works in the domU (beside no FLR - see flag FLReset-).

Dietmar.

> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> >> Was this primary or secondary adapter?
> >>

> > Also please refresh the XenVGAPassthrough wiki page and send all
> > the information asked there.. so I can add your entry there.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -- Pasi

Company details: http://ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-12  7:01                   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-04-12  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: xen-devel

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:53:27PM -0400, listmail wrote:
> Were the patches for secondary passthrough applied to xen-unstable?  Are
> they available so as to be applied manually to xen-unstable tip?

I don't think so.

The patches needed some thinking/designing about how to do it properly.
I'll open another thread about that.

-- Pasi

> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:02:13PM -0400, listmail wrote:
>>
>>> I had no problems passing through my Nvidia 8800gts 512.  The nv
>>> driver  on linux works fine (as good as it can).  There were a few
>>> quirks to  note, but I imagine your experience will vary using ATI.
>>>

>> Was this primary or secondary adapter?
>>
>> -- Pasi

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-12  7:25                     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-04-12  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: xen-devel

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:50:08PM -0400, listmail wrote:
> - Xen version
> 4.0-rc8
>
> - Dom0 kernel version, and if it's pvops or xenlinux based / Guest OS
> and driver version
> same kernel for both, via git clone of xen/stable-2.6.32 @ commit
> 062aaac18de6d875fcc646359179449218f486c5
> packaged for install via debian's make-kpkg
> used the .config attached here:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-03/msg00878.html
>
> -- "lspci" output for the graphics card to get the PCI IDs and model
> information
> dom0 lspci -vv
> <snip>
>
> - Did you passthru all the PCI IDs or just one?
> I'm only aware of one ID -> xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)

Btw did you try without hiding from dom0?

I've added your info to the wiki page now.

Thanks!

-- Pasi

> - Was it primary or secondary graphics adapter?
> primary
>
> - Motherboard vendor/model and BIOS version/CPU version
> Asus P7P55D Evo
> bios 1207 (old)
> core i7 860
>
> - How did it work.. did you have some issues?
> the nv driver on linux works fine (as good as it can)
> it takes a bit before you see VGA output on boot
> the console cursor was positioned higher than normal (sitting at over
> the halfway mark for the font)
> shutdown of Xorg can leave you with a blank console
> shutdown then Restart of domU without restarting dom0 may lead to no VGA
> output, however you can still ssh in and startx (Xorg) and it will
> produce output
>

> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

>>> Was this primary or secondary adapter?
>>>

>> Also please refresh the XenVGAPassthrough wiki page and send all
>> the information asked there.. so I can add your entry there.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -- Pasi

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-12  7:54                       ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-04-12  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dietmar Hahn; +Cc: xen-devel, listmail

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:55:54AM +0200, Dietmar Hahn wrote:
> >     Capabilities: [78] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
> >         DevCap:    MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
> > <512ns, L1 <4us
> >             ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
> >         DevCtl:    Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
>
> This is the same behavior as on my laptop where the copied VGA-BIOS not
> works in the domU (beside no FLR - see flag FLReset-).

So hmm.. the device will have "FLReset-" in the DevCap section when FLR is supported?
Or does that "-" mean it's not supported?

-- Pasi

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-12  8:34                         ` Dietmar Hahn
From: Dietmar Hahn @ 2010-04-12  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel, listmail

Am 12.04.2010 schrieb Pasi Kärkkäinen:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:55:54AM +0200, Dietmar Hahn wrote:
> > >     Capabilities: [78] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
> > >         DevCap:    MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
> > > <512ns, L1 <4us
> > >             ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
> > >         DevCtl:    Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
> >
> > This is the same behavior as on my laptop where the copied VGA-BIOS not
> > works in the domU (beside no FLR - see flag FLReset-).
> >

> So hmm.. the device will have "FLReset-" in the DevCap section when FLR is supported?
> Or does that "-" mean it's not supported?

As far as I understand the code in lspci right "-" means not supported.

And FLR seems really not to work because the part from the original mail says:

And as he wrote:
> it takes a bit before you see VGA output on boot
I had the same effect. I first saw the linux kernel boot messages, nothing from
BIOS or grub but X11 works fine.
I think the cause is that BIOS and grub are using INT10 (but VGA-BIOS is not
working right). Later linux kernel and X11 are using direct card access.

X11 works but when I start Windows XP no graphic output!

Dietmar.

--
Dietmar Hahn
TSP ES&S SWE OS

@ 2010-04-12 13:04                       ` listmail
From: listmail @ 2010-04-12 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dietmar Hahn; +Cc: xen-devel

Dietmar Hahn wrote:
>> - How did it work.. did you have some issues?
>> the nv driver on linux works fine (as good as it can)
>> it takes a bit before you see VGA output on boot
>>

> Did you see any boot messages of the BIOS / grub
> on the console device (with this gfx adapter) before the linux
> kernel boot messages and the X11 screen?

No output only appeared some time after the kernel had already started.
I wasn't sure what to expect here.  Would there be any more useful
information to provide?
>> the console cursor was positioned higher than normal (sitting at over
>> the halfway mark for the font)
>> shutdown of Xorg can leave you with a blank console
>> shutdown then Restart of domU without restarting dom0 may lead to no VGA
>> output, however you can still ssh in and startx (Xorg) and it will
>> produce output
>>

> This is the same behavior as on my laptop where the copied VGA-BIOS not
> works in the domU (beside no FLR - see flag FLReset-).
>
> Dietmar.

It is copied directly from the card just before domU starts right?  I
read something about that the card's bios can change after it first
initialized when the computer starts, is there an option to test using a
file based copy of the bios?

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-12 13:18                       ` listmail
From: listmail @ 2010-04-12 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:50:08PM -0400, listmail wrote:
>
>> - Xen version
>> 4.0-rc8
>>
>> - Dom0 kernel version, and if it's pvops or xenlinux based / Guest OS
>> and driver version
>> same kernel for both, via git clone of xen/stable-2.6.32 @ commit
>> 062aaac18de6d875fcc646359179449218f486c5
>> packaged for install via debian's make-kpkg
>> used the .config attached here:
>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-03/msg00878.html
>>
>> -- "lspci" output for the graphics card to get the PCI IDs and model
>> information
>> dom0 lspci -vv
>> <snip>
>>
>> - Did you passthru all the PCI IDs or just one?
>> I'm only aware of one ID -> xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)
>>

> Btw did you try without hiding from dom0?
>
> I've added your info to the wiki page now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Pasi

No,  I did not try this because I'm not sure of what the process would
be.  I suppose I would need a script that gives the VGA card to pciback
first then starts the domU.

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-12 13:24                         ` Dietmar Hahn
From: Dietmar Hahn @ 2010-04-12 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: xen-devel

Am 12.04.2010 schrieb listmail:
> Dietmar Hahn wrote:
> >> - How did it work.. did you have some issues?
> >> the nv driver on linux works fine (as good as it can)
> >> it takes a bit before you see VGA output on boot
> >>

> > Did you see any boot messages of the BIOS / grub
> > on the console device (with this gfx adapter) before the linux
> > kernel boot messages and the X11 screen?
> >
> No output only appeared some time after the kernel had already started.
> I wasn't sure what to expect here.  Would there be any more useful
> information to provide?

I only wanted to know whether your vga-bios works well, but it didn't seem
so, otherwise you would see some messages from the bios and if you have
the grub bootloader maybe to select a kernel to boot in the domU.

> >> the console cursor was positioned higher than normal (sitting at over
> >> the halfway mark for the font)
> >> shutdown of Xorg can leave you with a blank console
> >> shutdown then Restart of domU without restarting dom0 may lead to no VGA
> >> output, however you can still ssh in and startx (Xorg) and it will
> >> produce output
> >>

> > This is the same behavior as on my laptop where the copied VGA-BIOS not
> > works in the domU (beside no FLR - see flag FLReset-).
> >
> > Dietmar.
> >
> It is copied directly from the card just before domU starts right?

No it's copied from the dom0 kernel memory to the domU physical memory.

> I read something about that the card's bios can change after it first
> initialized when the computer starts, is there an option to test using a
> file based copy of the bios?

To load the vga-bios from a file you have to change the hvmloader (there is
already some code about this) and must compile it on your own.

Dietmar.

--

@ 2010-04-16  0:57                       ` listmail
From: listmail @ 2010-04-16  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:50:08PM -0400, listmail wrote:
>
>> - Xen version
>> 4.0-rc8
>>
>> - Dom0 kernel version, and if it's pvops or xenlinux based / Guest OS
>> and driver version
>> same kernel for both, via git clone of xen/stable-2.6.32 @ commit
>> 062aaac18de6d875fcc646359179449218f486c5
>> packaged for install via debian's make-kpkg
>> used the .config attached here:
>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-03/msg00878.html
>>
>> -- "lspci" output for the graphics card to get the PCI IDs and model
>> information
>> dom0 lspci -vv
>> <snip>
>>
>> - Did you passthru all the PCI IDs or just one?
>> I'm only aware of one ID -> xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)
>>

> Btw did you try without hiding from dom0?
>
> I've added your info to the wiki page now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Pasi

Just a small follow up

late binding
# VGA
#01:00.0 0300: 10de:0600 (rev a2)
echo "10de 0600" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/new_id
echo "0000:01:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/driver/unbind
echo "0000:01:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/bind

# USB
#00:1a.0 0c03: 8086:3b3c (rev 05)
echo "8086 3b3c" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/new_id
echo "0000:00:1a.0" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1a.0/driver/unbind
echo "0000:00:1a.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/bind

# USB
#00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:3b34 (rev 05)
echo "8086 3b34" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/new_id
echo "0000:00:1d.0" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1d.0/driver/unbind
echo "0000:00:1d.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/bind

Results were the same.  I noticed a message:
pciback pci-1-0: 22 Couldn't locate PCI device (0000:01:00.0)! perhaps
already in-use?

Maybe this is because I'm doing all of this from script and immediately
starting the hvm.  Could use a delay?

I also patched in load BIOS from file and results were the same

The only thing *new* that I've noticed is that when power saving/screen
blank occurred on console, mouse/keyboard (usb controllers passed
through per above) movement from domU would not wake it up.  I  thought
perhaps it was actually coming in from setterm on dom0.  If this is the
case I assume setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0 may handle that.

* Re: Re: vt-d p7p55d evo: Success
@ 2010-04-18 19:50                     ` Mark Hurenkamp
From: Mark Hurenkamp @ 2010-04-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: listmail; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi,

Since vt-d seems to work ok now on my system, i have been tinkering with
the VGA passthrough today, and alas, got it to work for my windows hvm!

- Xen version used:
4.0.0

- Dom0 kernel version:
pvops from xen/stable-2.6.32.x branch

- lspci for the graphcis card:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon HD
4350] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 032e
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
	Region 0: Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Region 2: Memory at fb8e0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Region 4: I/O ports at a000 [size=256]
	Expansion ROM at fb8c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
		Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
	Capabilities: [58] Express (v2) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
		DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1
unlimited
			ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
		DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
			RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
		DevSta:	CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
		LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0
<64ns, L1 <1us
			ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
		LnkCtl:	ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
			ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
		LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive-
BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
		DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Not Supported, TimeoutDis-
		DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
		LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-,
Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
			 Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance-
ComplianceSOS-
			 Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
		LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB
	Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
	Capabilities: [100 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1
Len=010 <?>
	Kernel modules: radeon

- Did you passthru all the PCI IDs or just one?
I passed the graphics, and the audio pci ids both to the hvm.
I also passed an usb card pci id.

- Was it primary or secondary graphics adapter?
It was the primary adapter. I tried the secondary as well, but could not
get it to work.

- Motherboard vendor/model and BIOS version/CPU version
Asus P7P55D-Evo
Bios 1307 (latest)
Core i7 860

- How did it work.. did you have some issues?
After i installed the catalyst driver, and XP rebooted, the graphics
login screen for XP appeared on the monitor (after some time).
I did not see any boot messages though...