All of lore.kernel.org
From: Brian Jackson <iggy@theiggy.com>
To: Thomas Mueller <thomas@chaschperli.ch>
Cc: ceph-devel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: PATCH: link ceph-client version to kernel version
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:34:35 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, July 07, 2010 03:54:00 am Thomas Mueller wrote:
> hi
>
> reading the version in ceph_fs.h made me think, that now that ceph is in
> vanilla kernel, it would be nice to have the version linked to the kernel
> version. this is how the kvm guys work for their backported module.

That makes sense for KVM because it's reached a level of maturity where they
only bother doing the backports of specific kernel releases. I don't think
it's a good idea for ceph to go this direction yet. Mostly I'd hate to see the
standalone client packages only released when there's a new kernel. It seems
like something that would be more useful once ceph has some kernel releases
under it's belt.

> I've also patched super.c to expose the version to modinfo.
>
> - Thomas

<snip>